You Can Always Depend on the Kindness of Strangers

John's POV

"Yes sir, I'm sorry sir. Yes sir, the losses were severe sir. Yes sir, it was, it's my fault sir. I never should've gotten myself captured sir. You'll be happy to know that I didn't give them any important information they could use..."

I am so glad I made him call the boss. Plus it makes me look better that he got caught and I saved him.

"Yes sir, I'm sorry sir. I realize how you could've been compromised if I had revealed any pertinent information."

I should've left him there to die like the useless corpse that he is. Yeah sure he created the formula that will probably save us all but now that we have it why not just dust the fucker already? I'd do it myself if the boss hadn't ordered me not to.

"Yes sir, I understand sir. We will not receive any additional forces until confirmation that the formula is fully integrated into her system. Yes sir, I understand sir."

Fucking bastard... I think it's time we look for some other type of help.

Buffy's POV

I wonder if it was a good idea to leave her there alone. I told her where I was going but after what happened last night... I hope she'll stay till we figure out how to help her. Hopefully Riley can do that for her. More specifically, The Initiative can help Faith. They know about chemicals and research and stuff like that.

I walk into Lowell house and look around, Riley is nowhere in sight.

"What do you want Summers?"

I look up.

"It's nice to see you too Forrest."

Every time I see him he gives me the cold shoulder.

"Are you here to see Riley?"

"Yeah, is he in his room?"

"Yup, just be sure not to wear him out before his watch tonight."

Shut up Forrest, man sometimes I wish there was an exception in the 'slayers don't kill people' rule.

"I'll be sure."

I start up the stairs.

I reach Riley's room and knock on the door.

"Come in."

I turn the knob and walk in.

"Hey Riley..."

"Hi, how are you?"

I walk up to him and give him a kiss. He gets up out of his chair and hugs me.

"I'm okay I guess."

He starts pacing.

"How'd the slaying go last night?"

"I wasn't out slaying last night."

"Why not?"

"Well that's why I wanted to see you."

He turns around and looks at me.

"What's up? Adam troubles?"

"No, something else... I have this friend... she's a slayer."

"A slayer? How'd that happen? I thought the only way to get a new slayer was when the old one dies."

"It is."

"Then that means..."

"Yeah, it does. But that's not important right now..."

Wow, when did I get so non-caring about dying? Ah well.

"My friend, Faith... she, she's in trouble."

"Is it a supernatural kind trouble?"

"I think so, I'm not sure. Something's happened to her. She was in the hospital and it seems like some of the people there did something to her. And... well she's supposed to be resistant to this type of thing."

"What do you need?"

"I need your help. I need you to test her."

"Test her?"

"A friend of mine noticed that she was convulsing... we think she's got some kind of drug or something, and it could be magical. I need to find out."

"If they did something to her, why not just ask her?"

You think I would've thought of that.

"I would, but it won't help."

"Why's that?"

"She has amnesia. Also, she was in a coma when they did it to her."

"Oh, do you think that's part of the drug thing?"

"No, we think the amnesia is... it's more than that. There's nothing we can do about that."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah it's a whole higher power conscience thing."

He looks at me confused.

"It's a magic thing."

"Okay then... just bring her to the house and we'll test whatever's in her blood."

I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him.

"Thank you Riley. You won't regret this."

"I better not."

He smiles and chuckles at me.

"Thank you."

I turn around and start down the stairs.

I knew this was a good idea. It's time to get Faith.