Lucky Break

Buffy's POV

The whole gang turns to see Spike standing just inside the front door.

"What are you doing here Spike?"

Faith's expression turns from panicked to a cold stare.

"I don't care what he's here for."

She leaps over the couch and attacks him, grabbing him by the throat.

Okay, wait, Spike wouldn't have risked coming here if he didn't have something important to say. He knows I'd stake him in a second if he didn't. I'd better stop her.

I leap over the couch and catch up with her.

"Faith, stop..."

"Why?"

"Don't you wanna hear what he has to say?"

"Not really, mostly I just want him dead."

She can be a real hot head sometimes. It's one of the things I love about her.

"Let him speak honey..."

She watches my eyes as I grab her wrist and gently pull it away from Spike's neck. Spike straightens up with a big smile on his face. I almost want to stake him myself.

"Thanks a bunch pet. I knew there was a reason I liked you, Summers."

I roll my eyes at him.

"You don't like me Spike you hate me, and I hate you back. You've got five minutes before I let my girl dust you."

Faith and I step back, glaring at him.

"Your girl? When did this happen? And what's with you calling her honey? She doesn't strike me as the kinda person who likes to..."

"Clock's ticking peroxide boy."

I was gonna say that.

"Right then, so how's the search for those cult boys going?"

"Why?"

Good question.

"That badly eh?"

"What's it to you Spike?"

"I'm concerned is all... can't a man be concerned for his friends?"

"You're not a man Spike."

"And we are SO not your friends."

Faith and I are quite a tag team I gotta say.

"Close enough. So anyway..."

"Were you getting to a point soon? Cause we were kinda in the middle of something."

"Yes, okay, the point I was about to make... was this."

He pulls a book out from under his jacket and shows it to us.

I'm not impressed. It may be all gold and shiny and stuff but it's nothing special. It's a book.

Faith seems confused.

"What is it?"

"It's a book you twit."

Before Faith can react I knock Spike flat on his face with a right cross.

"She knows it's a book you Billy Idol wannabe. She means why should we care?"

Spike gets up slowly, making sure to get some distance between us and him.