Shadows and Dust From Your Past

Faith's POV

I open the package. There's a tape inside, I take it out and put it in the VCR. There's also a box inside, I set it down on the table next to me. The TV comes on and Mayor Wilkins appears.

"Hello Faith. If you're watching this tape, it can only mean one thing. I'm dead... and our noble campaign to bring order to the town of Sunnydale has failed..."

He's gone.

"... utterly and completely. But on the other hand. Heck, maybe we won. Heh, heh, heh, heh. And right now I'm on some jumbo monitor in the Richard Wilkins Museum surrounded by a bunch of kids sitting Indian style and looking up at my face filled with fear and wonder. Heh, heh, heh. Hi kids. Heh, heh, heh..."

I smile.

He always did have a twisted sense of humour

He always did have a twisted sense of humour. It's one of the things I liked so much about him.

"But the realist in me tends to doubt it. Now, Faith, as I record this message... you're, uh... sleeping... and the doctors tell me you might never wake up. I don't believe that. Sooner or later you will wake up, and when you do, you'll find that the world has gone and changed on you..."

He cared about me and he's gone. He's the only one who ever really cared about me, and he's gone. How could this happen?

"I wish I could make the world a better place for you to wake up in. But tough as it is to accept, we both have to understand that even my power to protect and watch over you has its limits. See, the hard pill to swallow here is that once I'm gone... your days are just plain numbered. Now I know you're a, you're a smart and capable young woman... in charge of her own life. But the problem, Faith is that... there won't be a place for you in the world anymore..."

She... he... she made him gone. How could she have done this?

"Right now, I bet you're feeling very much alone. But you're never alone. You'll always have me. And... you'll always have this. Heh, heh, heh, heh. Go ahead... open the box..."

I step forward and pick up the box and look at it.