Chapter 40: Failure

Dahyun's P.O.V (Point Of View)

The door flinged open, revealing a very angry and intimidating Irene.

"WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?" she hollered and bursted in the room.

By the time Irene was entering the room both Momo and I were with our back against the wall, hands over our heads and shaky legs. Never in my life, I had ever seen someone this angry.

"THEY'RE ABOUT TO GET AWAY" she screamed and angrily exhaled when realizing the 5 girls were not paying attention to her.

Irene's eyes were what I found scarier. Usually, you couldn't tell her emotions or what she was thinking. But looking at her scream and curse you could clearly tell she was hurt, angry, maybe a bit sad. Everything she felt was given away by the look on her face, the way her eyebrows were raised higher than usual or the way her eyes sparkled under the basement's dim lighting. The sparkle wasn't beautiful, you couldn't get lost in it. It was intense and seemed to never die down, it is probably the last thing you see before dying.

Irene's eyes weren't like Momo's, bright and full of hope even if times are hard. Although, both women had gone hardships, one had decided to try to move forward, slowly getting back on her feet. While the other, had decided to turn into a criminal, hurting herself and her loved ones in the process.

That's when I understood how much Momo meant to me: the time Irene pulled out a gun and her eyes turned pitch black, like the day at the hospital. That's when I accepted the fact that love is a feeling and you can't push it away, even if you think that the person next to you doesn't love you back. It doesn't matter if you know them two months or two years, it doesn't matter if they treat you badly or not, because you love them.

It's not like in the movies, where with one touch you get the tingley feeling in your stomach that you know you're in love. It is when you find yourself risking everything for them, giving up your plans and dreams, putting them as a priority even if it gradually destroys you.

And then it's your call: accept it or back away. Work and learn to love yourself and your significant other equally or hurt yourself further more.

The sound of the gun loading made me instinctively grab Momo's hand and squeeze it tightly.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP" Irene barked and aimed between Ryujin and Yuna, her finger grazing over the trigger and with no second thoughts, pulling it.

The sound of the gun going off echoed through the whole house as everyone in the basement fell quiet, taking in what had just happened.

My eyes moved from Irene's to the small space between the two girls and the little hole behind them on the wall. One of them was about to speak up until Irene's worst nightmare turned into a reality, her secret was revealed.

"Hey Juhyun, what was that sou--" Yeri walked into the room, clueless. Both Seulgi and Sooyoung were behind her, all three girls dressed in black.

"Dahyun?" Sooyoung whispered, her eyes shaking when seeing me at the other end of the room, back against the wall, shaking.

Irene sighed in defeat and fell to her knees, the gun she was one holding dropping to the ground beside her.

"I-Irene?" Seulgi spoke being the first one to make a move and walk closer to the oldest, sitting on the floor next to her.

"Say it" Juhyun let out, her voice breaking and her eyes closing, letting some tears stream down her face.

"Say w-what?" the girl asked and wrapped her arms around the older who was now quietly sobbing on the floor.

"That I'm a failure" Irene replied her voice and body shaking.

"You're not" Seulgi confidently replied "You're just b-broken, it's fine" she added and stroked the oldest's back.

Everyone stayed quiet for a bit, while Momo squeezed my hand back and looked at me with a concerned look. Not even then, the hopeful spark of her brown orbs was missing.

"It's not" Juhyun spat and scoffed "I'm..a bad person" realization had finally hit Irene, who seemed to slowly regret everything she has ever done.

"Irene, you're not" Seulgi insisted and wiped her tears away "We're going to work on it, alright?" she asked and hugged the older tighter as she broke down, showing everyone her vulnerable side for the first time. "Just promise to try. I'll always be here" Seulgi added as she too started crying.

Ryujin and Chaeryeong along with Yeji and Jisu walked in front of Momo and I. With sad smiles and praises for our bravery, they each bowed multiple times while apologizing, before exiting the room.

Yuna rolled her eyes and scoffed when being dragged out of the basement.

"Guys.." Yeri let out with a shaky breath and proceeded to move closer to us, but stopped when Sooyoung grabbed her arm and held her back. The girls exchanged glances before they too exited the room, leaving Seulgi, Irene, Momo and I alone.

Momo's body had stopped shaking and she seemed as calm as ever, her eyes sympathetically following Irene's every little movement.

"You were right, I'm pathetic" Juhyun admitted standing up from the floor, her hand intertwined with Seulgi's. "I don't expect you to ever forgive me" she whispered not once looking at our faces. "I've regretted so much after seeing you coming after me to save Hirai" she sighed "Thank you"

"See what love makes us do, Bae Juhyun?" I replied and she smirked "It's better late than never"

"I'm truly sorry, for everything. I will make it up to you, both of you. Seungwan too."

"Take care, Irene"