Chapter 21

Tobias and I are up way too early to drive home, I am sad to leave our little paradise, our safe haven. Tobias promises that we will return for a vacation sometime soon, maybe for Christmas, my heart twists thinking about Christmastime, wondering if he will want to go home with me instead as I think about introducing him to my parents to for the first time. I have never introduced a boy to my parents before. Tobias detours on the way home, bringing me to various landmarks, ones that I have never seen before. I grab my phone and snap a photo of him, not paying attention as he looks talks about a statue to me. When he notices my flash go off, he smirks at me as he stalks towards me, and plucks my phone from my fingertips, holding it out of reach as I jump. He whispers, "Smile," into my ear as he places an arm around me and we smile in the snowy landscape. In the distance, I see lights and take off walking quickly. "Where are you going?" He mumbles as he follows after me. "To the lights of course!" I giggle as I grab ahold of his hand, tugging him. Carnival musical can be heard with the lights as I spot the Ferris Wheel. "Can we take a ride on it, please?" I ask, hesitantly.

Tobias groans, but reluctantly agrees to go after I threaten to go without him. As we stand in line, waiting for our enclosed car, I ask, "Can you imagine climbing this thing, with no help, with nothing attached to you."

I hear Tobias gulp hard as he responds, "Sounds like fun." He responds sarcastically as I smile at him. "Come on Tobias, that is not very dauntless of you."

"I value my life thank you, unlike some people." He responds, smiling at me.

"I value my life too. I guess my idea of fun is just different than yours is." I smirk at him as he rolls his eyes at me as the man takes are tickets.

Tobias and I enter into heated enclosed capsules. I notice Tobias grip the side rail tightly, so tightly that his knuckles are turning white. I reach for his hand from next to him, and gently rub his hand, trying to calm his nerves. When the wheel makes one pass, and then another. I breathe a sigh of relief, knowing Tobias isn't a fan of heights, but on the third pass, the wheel stops leaving Tobias and I swaying at the top. Tobias swears under his breath. I glance at him. He looks ready to pass out. I have to think of something quick before he really starts to panic. I lean over and kiss him. When our lips gently meet and I try to convey to him to relax. His fingers creep along my cheek, tucking my hair behind my ear as I sigh into the kiss. We both pull away breathless as the Ferris Wheel begins to move as he murmurs, "Thank you, Tris. You really know how to calm me down."

I feel my cheeks heat as I smile, "No problem, babe."

We leave the carnival to begin the drive home again, but when we get home it is close to two in the morning. I ask Tobias to stay the night since it is so late, and he agrees as he pulls his shirt off, crawls onto the bed, and pulls me against his chest as I drift off to sleep, I hear him whisper, "love you, Tris."

I am awoken by a high pitched squeal coming in the direction of my doorway. I open an eye, to find Chris standing there as she squeals again, claps her hand, and jumps up and down, saying, "I knew it! I want every detail!"

I toss my pillow at Chris as she runs out of the room, slamming the door behind her as I roll over to find Tobias lying next to me still. I whisper, "Good morning," as I run my fingers through his hair.

"Shh, maybe the morning will go away if you ignore it and don't acknowledge its presence."

I giggle, "Unfortunately, it won't. We need to both get up or else we are going to be late."

As I am eating a bowl of cereal at the table with Chris, pestering for details on my relationship with Four I notice Tobias walk out of the bathroom wearing his black scrubs, the very same ones that he was wearing the first day that I met him, and my mind drifts back to how much my life has changed since he has entered my life. "Earth to Tris!" Christina says as she waves her hand in front of my face.

"I'm listening. You were talking about Will."

"Actually, I wasn't." She smirks at me, "I was talking about Marcus and how weird he has been acting lately."

"No more weird than normal," I say as I stand to walk Tobias to the door. He gives me a quick kiss goodbye whispering, "See you later." As I shut the door, I turn to see Chris now sitting on the couch, bouncing. "Now you have to answer me!" She says as she starts talking a million miles an hours, asking a hundred questions. I ignore all of her questions as I say, "Let's go, Chris. We better get a move one, or else will both have an angry Marcus to contend with."

"Fine!" She says as she tosses her keys at me to drive. I run up to the floor with a few minutes to spare before I am late, and not even twenty minutes later, Marcus is standing in front of me. He grins, "Miss Prior, I trust you had a few good days off."

I nod, not sure what to say to him as I stumble over saying, "Yes, Marcus, thank you. Did you?"

"Yes, I did," and with that, he walks away. That is weird, he is never in a good mood. He is up to something, that is my first thought. "Morning, Tori!"

Tori smiles, "Good morning, Tris. Are you ready for today? It is going to be very busy."

"Yes, bring it!" I laugh as she hands me papers, and we go find the off going nurse to go get a report from. By the time lunchtime rolls around, I am starving, reading to eat my body weight in pasta when I see Tobias in the cafe. I feel like have not eaten in a million years. I eat double of everything.

Tobias and I talk about how our days have been going since we saw each other this morning. He tells me about the surgeries that he got to help with, and I tell him about some of the skills that I got to try out on the floor today. "You okay, Tris?" Tobias asks as he stares at me engulfing my second of helping of spaghetti.

"Yeah, I feel fine," I lie to him. In all honesty, I feel like I have been run over by a truck. All I want to do is sleep now that I have finished my food. Maybe I am tired from the craziness of the floor today? There is no way I am going to tell Tobias any of this though, he would flip, and make me go home to rest for the rest of the day instead I change the subject off of me, and I ask him to tell me more about his surgery. He proceeds to tell me every detail of the Whipple procedure that he got to help perform on a pancreatic cancer patient. I listen patiently, and I am happy for him. He tells me how to surgery lasted for six hours, which is why he was late picking me up for lunch and texted me to meet him in the cafe.

When Tobias and I part, I return to the floor with a pounding headache. I don't feel well at all. I finish the day. It is almost three o'clock, and I am preparing to give a report when my hearing becomes disoriented, my sight goes blurry, and the room begins to spin. I feel my knees buckle out from underneath me as I see a shadow of someone running towards me. The male voice sounds disoriented, through my ears, I can't make out what he is saying. The next thing I know everything turns black.