Chapter 1

Let me start with some words of advice: Things are not going to be easy, but they will be worth it in the end. That is some of the best advice my father and mother, ever gave me the year that I started nursing school. That advice, I have applied to every aspect of my life to date.

My name is Beatrice Prior, but everyone calls me Tris. I don't know, how I ended up with that nickname. I think it might have been my best friend and roommate Christina, who gave that nickname to me when we were in middle school. All I can remember is, we were arguing one day, and she called me Tris, to try to get me angrier. However, I just laughed at her silliness, and that name, it has stuck ever since, so all of my friends, call me Tris now.

I live in Dauntless, Pennsylvania. I have long blonde hair, light blue eyes, and I am short. I have a mother, named Natalie, who is a stay at home mom. She likes to knit things, for the homeless, that live in our area. My father, whose name is Andrew, he isn't around as much as my mother, my brother, nor I would like him to be, but what can we do about it. He has a high ranking job as a general in the Army.

I also have an older brother, Caleb, who is very smart, he got into several Ivy League schools, but he turned them all down to attend Erudite College, which is around the area that I live in. Erudite College is considered to be one of the best schools in the region.

I am a senior in college. I go to Dauntless University, and I major in Nursing. Senior year in nursing can be brutal although not as brutal as a junior year because there is a lot of pressure to achieve and accomplish great things. One of my friends Al, committed suicide junior year, that is how much pressure we were all under.

This is a story about how I wasn't looking for anyone or anything. I was just trying to finish my senior year, have good grades, and get a nursing job in the area that I loved. However, my first day of senior year at Dauntless Hospital changed everything about my life. It made me question everything in my life, and it was all thanks to one medical resident who was assigned to the floor that I had my senior clinical on.