Chapter Eighteen

I came back to myself in a rush, lurching forward and jostling myself within someone's arms. I hesitated looking up, hoping far too strongly that it was Carson who held me, and knowing far too assuredly that it was not.

I peered upwards to find Eolis carrying me. He glanced down at me as my eyes widened. I pressed my palm against his chest and he stopped, lowering one arm to allow my feet to reach the ground.

He stood silently, giving me time co adjust to my surroundings. "Wanna talk about it?" He asked, gesturing for me to walk alongside him as we headed through more curving twists of forest.

I followed, half a step behind so he could lead the way. He didn't hesitate anymore, allowing me to catch up but letting me feel like I could hold my own too. I appreciated that. I wasn't a fan of showing my weakness and I didn't exactly want his touch right then. His warmth only reminded me of Carson and my heart ached for him.

I wasn't sure what had happened but I wasn't sure I wanted to tell him just yet. I felt around in my pocket, sagging in relief when I found the necklace there. It frightened me but it held some sort of connection to Carson, and I wouldn't let that go.

"We're almost there," he said, accepting my silence as my answer. I hadn't meant to be like that but my mind was flitting through a million thoughts and I just couldn't spare the thoughts for conversation.

"Good," I replied, unsure of what else to say.

He was right, of course. We hadn't been far. It only took the better part of an hour to cross the last stretch, breaking through the trees into a clearing.

There was a large field between the house and us, but I recognized my father's proverbial palace. It's peaked roof jutted out across a rapidly brightening sky. I traded a worried glance with Eolis and we made our decent down toward the house.

Crossing the field was easy compared to the hours long trek through the woods. The hilly slopes farther from the tree line molded easily beneath my feet. I kept my focus there, telling one foot to move forward, then the other.

I had been thrilled at the thought of going "home", but now, the idea of an empty, cold bed frightened me. I wasn't certain that I wanted to be there anymore.

But, I needed to be. So, I pushed forward, against my better judgement, and the pain ringing in my heart.

A figure came into view as we neared the rear entry of the house. They were huddled forward, as though chilled by the crisp autumn air. They stood still against the wind regardless.

We grew close enough to see the figure and I was already in his arms, painful tears streaming my face. Anton brushed his fingers through my hair, shushing me softly. He rocked me against his chest, letting me sob into his neck.

I felt him look over at Eolis but I didn't care. I wasn't worried about him right then. I had an indescribable pain within me that only Anton could fix. Right then, I needed him.

He leaned forward without another word, looping an arm beneath my knees and carting me into the building. I was glad that he had found me. I still wasn't sure that I could've found my way anywhere in this building. Plus, I wasn't entirely sure that I had a place to find.

Where would I go? Carson's suite? It was all I really knew here. It was the only place that I'd ever said. But what good could that empty hall of rooms do for me? In two years, I'd rarely had a bed alone. I wasn't ready for that.

I didn't even know where Anton took me. The identical doors swarmed past like a kaleidoscope, spinning before me in a dizzying spell. After what felt like an eternity, Anton stopped, swinging a door open with one hand.