Chapter 27

Tris
I walk into my closet, looking for something to wear tonight. I'm pretty sure the girls don't know, so that's gonna work out well for me. Tobias is gonna be here in about a half hour, give or take. This might actually be fun.

There's a knock on the door. I check my phone quickly. Only 6:04. I shrug and walk to the door. Damn it. Marlene and Shauna stand there with bags of stuff. "What are you doing?" I ask, nodding towards the stuff. "Don't play dumb. Tonight is your date with Four." Shit. How did they find out? I sure as hell didn't tell them.

They let themselves in and rush me to the bathroom. I swat their hands away from my face. "Just a little?" Sharma finally gives in. I was gonna wear a little bit anyway, but she is way better at makeup than me. I nod and she squeals.

"How did you even know it was tonight?" I question. They look at each other, but soon back to me. "Lucky guess, " Mar answers, but more like a question. "I don't even care anymore," I reply.

I put on some black leggings and tank top. I tie a shirt around my waist and smile at myself in the mirror. My makeup is natural and barely noticeable. Just the way I like it. "This is gonna be awesome, " Mar screeches. I laugh and shake my head. I don't understand how we're friends. Probably opposites attract.

There's a knock on the door and I go to open it. As soon as it opens, Mar and Shauna sprint out and retreat to Marlene and Uriah's place. "Not even gonna ask, " Tobias laughs. I step out and lock the door behind me. "Did you tell them?" He looks down. "They held my cake hostage." I laugh. "Oh no, not the cake, " I answer sarcastically. He sticks his tongue out.

"To be fair, cake is the best food, " Tobias pipes in and I nod. There is no way I'm denying that. "That it is, " I reply and he chuckles. He sounds nervous. He really shouldn't be.

We sit down in a back, high top booth in one of the pit's restaurants. He slides into one side and I sit in the other. "At least they didn't cake your face this time, " Tobias teases. "Only because I stopped them, " I retort and he chuckles. "I didn't expect otherwise, " he says with a smirk.

We flip through the menus, trying to decide what is best. "What're you getting?" I ask and he shrugs. "You?" I shrug too. "Maybe the pasta, " I say, pointing to it. He nods. "Probably burger." I smile and nod. I've never eaten here before.

The waitress comes by and gives us a look before taking our order. Why did she look at us like that? Tobias' eyes meet mine after she leaves. "What was that?" I shrug. "Whatever it was, isn't our problem, " I say and he laughs. "True, " he replies with a smile. His eyes stay on me and we wait in silence for someone to say something.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I question, suspiciously. He smirks. "Because you're beautiful." Heat rushes to my cheeks and I try to hide it. "Not even close, " I reply, failing to hide my rosy cheeks. "Especially when you do that." He points to my face. My cheeks get hotter.

"Why me, of all people? You have your pick of the compound, yet you choose the small, ugly girl" I ask curiously. "First of all, your not ugly. You are pretty short, but that's beside the point." I laugh at the second part. He smiles too. "Because your brave, deadly smart, selfless, kind, and somewhat honest." I know he's referring to when I prank him and the gang. I lie all the time.

"There are other people like me, but better." "Trust me, there is nobody quite like you, " He answers. "Yeah, nobody is as weird, " I say, making a funny face. Tobias laughs. "There can't be anyone like you because I can't go on a date for longer than five minutes without insulting them and or getting slapped." I laugh. There is no way that's true. He doesn't laugh. "And we've been here for twenty minutes, " he adds with a satisfied smile.