Chapter 71

They put the mask over her mouth and nose.

"I love you, baby, " Hana says, pushing her hair back. "You're gonna be okay, " Zeke adds, wiping his eyes. "We couldn't get along without Ya, " Marlene adds. "Love you, Trissy, " Uriah sniffles, wiping his nose.

"I die, you live, " Tris mumbles through the mask. I laugh. "No promises. You're just gonna have to come back, " I laugh through my tears and squeeze my eyes closed briefly. Tris' eyes start to flutter closed.

"You're gonna be alright, Tris, I promise." I give her hand one tight squeeze before they wheel her out quickly, dragging all of the machines behind her. I punch my knee and grunt.

"Four, stop. Stop, relax, " Marlene says, grabbing my hand. I yank my hand out and grip the sides of my head. I look down and try the hardest I can not to just burst.

"Tris can't die. Not now, " I mutter, scratching at my scalp. "I didn't even notice. It's been days and I didn't even know." I squeeze my eyes closed.

"Four, stop it. The doctors didn't even know," Zeke reasons. "No, if Tris dies-Tris can't die. She was doing better, she-" "She was doing better, but better is still really bad for her," Marlene says and I feel more hands grabbing me.

I jump up and pace the now empty part of the room. I viciously scratch at my forearms, focusing on the pain searing through the layers of skin.

"Knock that off before I knock you out." I look-up and see Uriah glaring at me. "You're the one freaking out when Tris is the one who can't breathe. Tris is the one with problems, not you. You're walking. You're awake. Tris isn't."

"Tris is my problem. She-"

"Oh, so Tris is a problem? Why don't you just leave then? Nobody's forcing you to stay." Uriah stands up despite Marlene's grip on his arm.

"Tris isn't a problem and we all know that. You think I don't have problems? I've had problems my whole life. My mother is dead. My sister is dead. My father was abusive, he killed them both. My father kidnapped Tris and faked her death.

"He beat her to hell and back. He did other things I don't even want to think about. He almost killed both of you and the boys. All of this is because of me. The one person who I care about more than anyone in the world could be dying right now and I can't even be with her.

"Trust me I have plenty of problems and Tris isn't one."

"You had a sister?" Hana asks.

I lick my teeth and keep my mouth shut.

"I'm leaving, I need to go somewhere," I mumble. "Four, you aren't leaving," Zeke demands. "You're gonna wait here with us, okay. Sit down." I shake my head and bite my nail.

"I have to go, Zeke. I really can't stay here."

"Well, you really have to because we need you here," Uriah says. I scoff. "'Why don't you just leave?'" I mock. "'Nobody's forcing you to stay.'"

"He didn't mean that, Four," Marlene defends. "He's frustrated." I bite the inside of my mouth. "We all are." I nod and laugh a little bit.

"If Tris dies, I'm done." They stay silent for a while. "Four, please don't," Hana replies. "You're not just some random person. You're like another one of my kids. We lost Tris and I can't imagine losing you ever. I should be long gone by then." I look down.

"I don't mean to replace your mom and I don't need you to treat me like your mom. You're an amazing person whether you believe me or not. Tris knows that. Four, please."

"She can't die, " I mutter, shaking my head. "I can't do this again. I should've known. I should've known something was wrong. The doctors should have known. Damn it."