Chapter 9

Tris
Today we do fights and I can tell Four is really nervous. His fingers tap the table and his foot taps the floor. Zeke keeps teasing him. "It's just a fight, " he says and Four shakes his head. "Just a fight to someone more than double my size and who has grown up here."

"Being smaller can be an advantage. You're fast. I win my fights and I'm smaller than you, "I reply and he rolls his eyes. "Not a prodigy, remember?" He taps his temple with raised eyebrows. "Actually you are, FOUR, " I say, putting an emphasis on his name. He looks down at his food and shakes his head with a small smile.

"Well, you better be nice to her. She chose your opponent," Uriah laughs. Four doesn't. "You put me against him, didn't you?" We both know who he is. I smirk. "I need someone to kick his ass for me." He throws himself back and groans, causing all of us to laugh.

"Are you trying to kill me?" I shrug. "Maybe." I smile. "But you aren't doing that today. That's a fight for another day," Uriah says, calming him slightly. "Thank God."

"Today we start actual fights. The pairings for today are on the board." All eyes turn to the board in the middle of the room. Four is versing an amity today. The amity is a little bigger than he is, but Four should do fine. Eric is against a candor about his size. I'm purposely trying to get him to lose, but it doesn't seem likely.

There are only two fights left. Eric and candor and Four and amity. I don't bother to learn their names unless I think they'll make it or they're what I would consider my friend. "Eric and-" I'm cut off by them already in the ring and throwing punches. Four winces when seeing one of Eric's brutal hits.

Four can beat Eric. I would bet money on it. Eric can barely defend and Four is amazing at it. Eric's blows are hard, but they aren't an issue if you block or dodge them. Four is extremely weak.

After a few punches and kicks, Eric kicks his kneecap back causing him to fall down. His hands clutch his kneecap and murders spread throughout the transfers. "He cants do that!" A candor yells. "If you were fighting for your life or someone else's life, you wouldn't hesitate to do that. That's what we train you for. We don't train you for show fights, " I say more harshly than I meant to. "Take him to the infirmary, " Uriah instructs Eric. He groans and throws him over his shoulder.

"Four and amity!" I call. "Why do you know his name?" The girl complains. I roll my eyes. "Are you a transfer prodigy?" I ask with the 'are you stupid' tone. She shakes her head. "Exactly. Now fight!" I finish and they both get into position quickly.

Amity throws a punch to his gut that he blocks. A proud smile crosses his face. While he's distracted, she gets a good hit on his jaw. One of his hands clutches it while the other is ready for defense. She goes to sweep his legs, but he jumps out of her way. Good.

He hits her square in the nose and blood drips down her face. As she goes to wipe it, he kicks her side and she stumbles before falling. He can't just leave her there. They fight until one cant continue. Four looks at us with gentle eyes. He doesn't want to hurt her. Uriah nods tightly and he kicks the side of her head. She's gone.

"Winner!" I yell, circling his name. "Tomorrow is visiting day. Fights resume after that, " Uriah announces and all of them rush out except Four. He helps pick up the girl first and begins to walk out with her slumped against him. His abnegation is showing.

Four seems really sweet. He's always caring about others and helping. I don't understand what his and Eric's deal is, but oh well. Don't we all hate Eric?

"I think someone won, " Shauna laughs as Four walks to the table ahead of me. "What about you two?" He asks and sits down. "Both won," Zeke answers. There is a little blood under his nose still. Shauna looks unharmed.