Chapter 17

Tris
It hurts to even move my arm at all, but I didn't want them to know. I knew they'd make me come here. Since I'm responsible for myself, I can't afford it. Even when I was with mom, I always avoided doctors. We didn't have money to spare. But here we are.

A tall woman with bright purple hair takes the three of us to a separate room and makes me take off my jacket. My shoulder is red and swollen, worse than before. "This doesn't look good. What happened?" Shit. Four looks down with a guilty look on my face. "I grabbed something heavy and held it for a while, " I explain, trying not to make him feel bad. "I see, " she replies, catching the drift. "We are gonna need to take some x rays. Follow me please."

Damn it. What about initiation? What if I become factionless? At least he's okay. I don't care if I'm factionless as long as he's safe. As long as everyone I love is safe, I don't care what happens to me.

I reluctantly get up and follow her out.
Tobias
What have I done? Tris walks put with the tall woman and leaves Zeke and I alone in the room. I put my head in my hands.

"What did I do?" I repeat quietly to myself. "Nothing, " Zeke answers calmly. "Nothing as in the fact that she could be factionless. She could lose all her fights," I snap back. "I could've ruined her damn life." He shakes his head. "She's okay. Tris is stubborn. That was her way of showing she cares about you. She would do the same for almost anyone," Zeke explains. He still doesn't know about my crush. Now doesn't seem like the time for him to know anyway.

"You don't understand. You didn't throw knives at her today. You didn't cut her today. You didn't have her save your life today. You didn't have her risk herself for you today." I being a little harsh. "Sorry, " I apologize quietly. He nods. "She's done a lot of shit for all of us, " he replies with a small chuckle. I bet she has.
Tris
We finish x rays and I walk back into the room with Tobias and Zeke. "You guys up for a little game of candor or dauntless?" I ask with a smirk. Tobias removes his head from his hands and looks at me. Zeke nods and Tobias agrees.

"Zeke, C or D?" I question, sitting down. "Dauntless, duh." I smirk. "Run through the waiting room yelling that you got shot and when someone tries to help you, slap them and say 'that's the one who shot me' while pointing at them." "That's intense," Tobias says, a little more cheerful. "But I'm still doing it."

Right as he goes to open the door, the doctor lady opens it. He mumbles under his breath and sits down. Tobias' look of happiness completely disappears.

The woman goes to the lightbox thing on the wall and puts a few sheets of plastic on it. It looks like there is a ball and an indent for it t rest in, but it's out of that. "It's dislocated. You'll have to wear a sling for a couple of weeks and a wrap for two weeks." Shit. What about fights. They're in two days!

She helps to wrap it and gives me a sling. "Thanks," Zeke says with a nod. Four nods as if you say the same thing. "Refrain from most physical activity with this arm. Come back if there's still bad pain on three days." I nod and we follow her out.

What the hell am I supposed to do? Fights are I'm two days. My right is my dominant side. I can't block or even hit with it. I'm screwed. I don't even have the cushion of whatever rank I receive tomorrow

"See you after ranks tomorrow, " Zeke says, waving. Tobias insists that he has to walk me back. I've been here since I was little. I can navigate myself. "Bye, " I reply glumly. I need to think of a plan.

"I'll try not to get you the hard fights, " Tobias offers as we walk back to the dorm. "You don't have to do that. I can handle it." He shakes his head. "You did something for me and I want to return it, " he replies. "You risked your future. I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you're an absolute dumbass." Anger builds up inside me.