Chapter 59

"Family of Four, " a doctor says a few hours later. We all jump up. "All of you?" She asks suspiciously. We nod. "Problem?" Shauna asks, squeezing my hand. "No, but I know you all aren't." She smirks a little and winks at us.

"Well, I'm not sure how he did it, but he is insanely lucky." Oh, thank God! He's alive! I would never forgive myself if he didn't. She goes out spouting more mumbo jumbo I don't give a shit about before taking us to his room.

"He's not awake yet, but he should be very soon because we didn't want to bring you back until we had a good estimate on when he would awaken." We nod and the door opens. Four's back and chest are wrapped in cloth. His knee is also wrapped. IVs stick out of his hands and forearms.

We all sit down. Mom sits by his left side and we all sit at the foot of the bed. "Go sit there, " Shauna whispers, pointing to the seat by his other sides. "I can't, " I reply, keeping my head down.

"Four needs you there with him." I shake my head. "I left him there. I left him for dead, " I retort. "I'm the worst friend ever." I put my head in my hands and feel her hands on my shoulders.

"That's already my job." I quickly look up and see Four with a small smirk on his face. "You fucking asshole, " Mom says. "I would beat your ass if you weren't already in the hospital." Four's eyes squeeze together tightly in pain before he forces them to open again.

"Where is she?" He croaks. "I told you not to come back." I bite my lip. "In surgery, " I answer. "She has been for hours." "She's alive?" We nod.

Tears fill his eyes and drip down his cheeks. "I should've known. I'm so fucking stupid. I should've known it wasn't her." His heart monitor spikes. "Four, none of us knew. She is my best friend and I didn't know, " Shauna says.

"But I should've known, " he squeaks. "And it's all my fault. He only hurt her to hurt me." It's not his fault. I should have protected her. She's my little sister. She's my responsibility.

"I should know the fucking difference, " Four says, now sounding mad. "Calm down, Four. Your heart rate is way up, " Marlene scolds. "Four, I'm her mother and I didn't even know, " mom says.

"Please don't blame yourself for this. None of this was your fault."

"So, you're the all famous Tobias Eaton, huh?" Lynn asks. He stops talking. He doesn't need to be reminded. Shauna nudges her a little bit. "Don't do that," Four says, looking right at Shauna.

"Yeah. I'm the stupid transfer that caused all of this. Go ahead, slap me. I deserve it." I shake my head. "Four, you sacrificed your life for Uriah- For me. For Tris. You didn't care, " I say.

"In the video, you said you were willing to die just to see her get a proper burial, even if she was dead, " Mom says. "You almost killed him," Marlene adds. "What?" Uriah questions.

"He said that he could either tell everything he knew or that he'd kill him and make it look like an accident. He said he wasn't afraid of dying or going to prison," Mom explains. He did? That's how he got the information.

"He was about to pass out when you let him go, " Marlene says. "I know, " Four replies. "You heard what I said. I didn't want kill him, but I could've easily." There's a long pause. "Gotta face your fears sometime."

"Murdering someone is in your landscape?" I ask. He shakes his head. "Not after Tris died. It was killing an innocent I think. It would have Tris sitting in a chair and I had to shoot her. I had to kill her."

The door opens and a doctor walks in. "Hello, Four." He looks up at her. "You're awake." Four scoffs a bit. "You don't say." I smirk and so does she.