Chapter Eleven - The Truth

Start from the beginning

Dad looked at me and smiled. "Got to hand it to the kid. A rock star and he still helps out his parents" he stood up and walked out to the foyer.

My heart had began pounding the minute I heard Xavier's voice. It must have shown because mom bit her lip and leaned in closer. "Is there something I should know?"

I shook my head, perhaps coming across a little too indignant.

"Scarlett, I know you better than anyone else. I can tell something is up. You changed the minute you heard Xavier's voice."

"It's nothing, really." I said, my voice rebelled against me, It didn't sound like nothing, not by the way I was talking.

"Scarlett."

"He's the guy mom. Not Noah" I admitted.

"What?" Mom sounded surprised, what I'd said was obviously the last thing she had assumed.

"I've never felt about anyone the way I feel about him" I whispered.

"Honey. I thought he was being awful to you again, like in high school."

I looked up and our eyes connected "You knew about that?"

Mom nodded, she took my hand and shrugged. "Janie and I thought it was all harmless. It wasn't until the sex tape that Xavier came clean about what he put you through."

Wait! What?! Xavier had told them. Way back then? Flabbergasted wasn't a strong enough word for how I felt, but it was the only one that was a close enough fit.

"I didn't know he... I" I couldn't breath.

"Scarlett. You need to tell him how you feel" Mom exclaimed.

"I can't. He knows I want him, but not how deep I think this goes."

"How deep is that?"

"I think I love him. I know it's only been a week and I used to hate him and.... oh god."

"Hon, your talking to me. I think a week is a lifetime compared to five minutes in an elevator okay" mom smiled, then placed her hand over mine.

"Mom. He's not in a place to love me back, and I don't want to get hurt. I know you said the destination is what matters, not the journey. But he's not ready, and I don't think he ever will be."

Tears slipped from my eyes before I even realized they were there. I physically hurt from saying how I was feeling out loud. The realization that we couldn't be together zoned home. Mom stood up and wrapped her arms around me. The comfort of her hugs made me feel like a small child again, where innocence flowed through me, and my only care was being happy. In those moments, in her arms. I'd always felt I could pretend I was still a kid.

She pulled back and sat back down. "So where does Noah come in?"

"Isla set us up. A blind date. He's lovely, and kind. I like him."

"Dating other people is fine, but please, stay true to yourself. You're so much stronger than you give yourself credit for."

I smiled and whispered "thank you"

A few seconds later Xavier walked into the kitchen holding a jacket. My Jacket. He walked over to me a shy smile on his face.

"I just found this in my car." He whispered.

Mom stood up and made some excuse about needing to check the cellar for a particular brand of wine. I took the jacket from Xavier and smiled.

"Thanks"

He sat down where mom had been sitting and look down at the table. His hair was tied back, he was unshaven and as the smile fell from his face, he looked back up. His eyes still sparkled in the sun light, but there was something missing.