Chapter Forty-Six

Chapter Song: No Light, No Light- Florence+ The Machine

Luke

"Fuck where is it?" I exclaim looking around the room for my goddamn shoe that I just can't seem to find. I am trying to find it quickly, just because I had to be at the venue for sound check very, very soon.

It wasn't just any venue that were playing at, it was the biggest one yet. And it just so happened to be at the same place that we had seen All Time Low play at almost a year ago. How we managed to get booked for this place, I have no fucking clue. I guess we had a big enough fan base here, that people requested it. I was really excited for it anyways. Everything seemed to be falling into place nicely, considering where I was a year ago from now.

I push all my thoughts to the side and focus on finding my shoe. I realize that my closet was the only place that I haven't checked. And sure enough it was in there, sitting out in the blue. I mentally face palm as I slide my shoe on.

Something caught my eye, just as I was about to leave my closet. There was a black briefcase sitting on the shelf, collecting dust. I haven't touched it in years, and the reason for that was because it had been my dads. It was the only thing I really have of his, that he wanted me to have I think. I didn't really know why he had left it behind, but I didn't ever care enough to look at it closely.

But know that I know what happened and all the shit that happened to him, I was curious to see what it was actually. 

Grabbing it of the shelf, I pat it off a bit, because there was in fact dust from it. It seemed just like another black brief case, nothing really special about it, it was pretty big too. I wondered about the things that my dad had once put in here, and it makes me wonder what he did. And what else he was hiding from me. Or my family at that.

I start to put the bag down, finding nothing in it's big pockets. My dad probably just forgot it when he passed, he probably just put it here for me in the future. I didn't know and I didn't have the time to figure it out. I put it down on the shelf, but see a small piece on paper float down onto the ground. I pick it up, and turn it over to read it.

"B-921" I search the small paper for anything more but that was all that was on it. It was printed on the paper, which to me was sort of weird and I started to get a weird feeling about it. I didn't know what the fuck it even meant.

I tried to remember anything that my mom had mentioned about my dad working but nothing came to my mind. She never really talked about him much, so it didn't surprise me when I couldn't think of anything.

Well fuck this might as well as ask her.

I make my way down the stairs, pushing the piece of paper deep into my pocket. I find her in the kitchen standing with a mail in her hands. She doesn't look up as I arrive by her. "Hey mom?" I ask.

She looked up quickly, "Hey honey, aren't you suppose to be at your show?" She wonders. I was actually, I probably missed sound check by now, but I was okay with that.

"Yeah, I should go soon." I say, I was not really used to us having these conversations together. She was always at work, or I was always doing something with Andy or my band. We never really saw each other. Which I could see why we wouldn't, I practically live at Andy's apartment. Plus I was an adult now, I didn't even really need to live here anymore. "But a quick question first."

"What's that?" She asks, stilling looking interested in the white envelopes in her hands.

"What was dad's job?"

She looks up quickly, with her eyes wide. That freaked me out even more. "What?" I ask. She ignores me and walks quickly to the other side of the room to grab her purse. She rushes around like she was late to go somewhere.