Chapter Thirty-Nine

Chapter Song: Death Valley- Fall Out Boy

Luke

Austin and I make our way into Zone. I can just tell something has changed since the last time we came here. Considering we were here in the afternoon, you would think there wouldn't be many people here, but there were tons of guys here. By guys, I mean a lot of the regulars that I fight, and some other guys I haven't seen before. I didn't even know why we were here in the first place, Austin just told me something important was going on.

We make our way through the crowd of guys trying to figure out what was going on. Once we get to the main floor, I see organized groups of guys pairing off and doing different fighting practices. Some were using gloves and targets, and some were jumping rope. This was a fight club dammit, not some boxing gym.

"What the fuck?" Austin asks, and I didn't say anything because that's what I was thinking.

"Boys, glad you could show up," I turn around to see who was talking to us. It was Robert, the man who helped me the first time we came here. He was basically the owner of the place, he supplied the alcohol and other things and so he kept things going. He was probably the guy who texted Austin about why ever we were here for.

"What the fuck is going on?" I ask, not even trying to be gentle.

"Training." He said simply.

"Training for what?" Austin asks, his patience was running low like mine.

Robert has an irritated look on his face, "For our Summer Smash. It's in the beginning of summer and it basically is a fighting bracket and the top winner gets a shit load of money. The guys have been already training because there will be a lot of competition." He almost walks away from us, "I'm sure you guys want to be doing the same." He adds before turning away.

Summer Smash? What the hell is that even? It sound pretty intense, and apparently had good competition, but I could already beat more than half of the guys here. I wasn't really worried about it, but I guess everyone thought it was a big deal. Summer was still months ahead, so I don't know why this was a big deal right now.

"Well what do you think we should do? This sounds fucking stupid." Austin says, and I agree with him, why do we need training when it was just a fight club. This is a hobby not a profession.

"Why don't we check out these douchebags?" I smirk nodding towards the guys who were taking this practice seriously.

Austin shrugs, and I follow him to the crowd. I stand back as Austin practices his punching work with some guy. The dude couldn't even hold up his targets for Austin, he was just pounding him around. I can see Austin smirk, knowing he is hitting extra hard just to be a dick.

As I was leaning against the wall, minding my own business, I feel someone else lean next to me.  I look over and see a guy I haven't seen before, "Can I help you?" I ask, why he choose to stand next to me I didn't know, but I didn't like it.

"I heard you were a big deal here." He states, looking off to the others practicing.

"Yeah, are you jealous or something?" I snap, still not sure why the fuck he was talking to me.

He chuckles, "No at all, Hemmings." How he knew my last night was beyond me, but I guess he knew this place.

"Who the fuck are you?"

"Call me, Matthews" He responds cooly.

"Your first name is Matthews?" I scoff, what a lame name.

"No, but my first name isn't important." He says. I was just confused why he was talking to me. I didn't know if he fought or not, but I did know he thought he was hot shit. Just the way he was standing and talking I knew he was cocky. I would give him a punch to the face to show him that he wasn't that great.