The Breakup

The Breakup: Part Four of Five

(Untold scene of Chapter Forty)

Ashton

"Hey mate, pass the beer." I hear Calum say, but honestly, I don't even think I can move. I just mumble back to him without doing what he asks. "Come on Ashton, you have to get out of this funk."

If only words were able to motatvite me enough to be okay. I knew what the issue was but I just haven't wanted to fix it. The issue was Riley. I know I could get up right now and breakup with her, but I couldn't. And that's why I have been so sad and lifeless, because she has been taking the life out of me.

It wasn't always like this either. She was the perfect girl, when I first met her, sweet, pretty and all around an extremely nice girl. Throughout the first months of our relationship, everything was great. I was falling for her and she was doing the same for me. We barely fought and if we did we apologized right away and got back to the same relationship we always had. I had told her I loved her and she said it right back. The thing was, it was too perfect. I knew deep down that something had to go wrong eventually but I just never wanted to admit it.

And something did go wrong. After we had been dating for 6 months, I thought it was the perfect time to ask her to move in. I am 20 and she was just turning 19, she needed a place to move to anyways so I thought, "Why not?". Things were like they were before we moved in together, but then something changed.

We started fighting with eachother, more and more each day. Little arguements turned into big ones that lasted hours. Everything she did annoyed me, which caused even more fights. I loved going to band practice and shows because that meant I could get away for even a little bit. It slowly started making me less happy everyday.

But goddamn, did I still try to be the best boyfriend I could even through all of it. After we had long fights I would come home with a boquet of flowers. But she always complain about how she didn't like the kind I got, or she would leave them on the counter for me to find wilted, the next morning. I felt as though I was the only one who wanted it to last. I tried to get her to do more things, like go to movies or even walks with me, but I would only get shut down and she would go to the mall with my credit card.

I knew that she was just using me at that point, for my money and my house, but I was still in love with her and I thought about how things would get better, but they never did. I slowly gave up on trying anything anymore and basically was numb to everything.

That's when I finally realized that she had gone insane. I had gotten a call one night from Calum, who had said that Riley was over at his house. This wasn't unusual because she would always go and hang out with Payton. But then Calum told me that Riley had made Peyton cry and she was out of control. I then picked up Riley and she refused to talk about what happened. This led to me sleeping on the couch just like every other night. Calum and Peyton had fought about whatever Riley said to Payton but they ended up staying together anyways.

So now here we are, I'm laying on Calum's couch, not listening to word he was saying. I was just thankful that I was out of the house for the night, Riley said she was going to hangout with some friends or something. I didn't really care.

"Hey everyone!" Michael said as he entered the room. He was carrying a six pack of beer, I barely looked up to say hello.

"Hey Mikey," Calum says as Michael takes a seat on the chair across from Calum.

"Girlfriend got you down again?" He asks, I just nodded my head. "I don't know why you even stay with her if she's making you this upset." He says. How ironic, I think. But I don't say anything, I was just in a bad mood.