Chapter Twenty: Power Shifts and Sacrifices

Amity/Psyche's POV
~~
We left the Congregation but stayed outside the entrance.

"Look, you might want to be sitting down for this," I said, sitting under the shade that the small cabin gave.

They followed, Andy coming to sit by me. It was hard to put the words together without sugarcoating it.

"As you know, there was a Shadow attack this morning. They...came for your uncles and aunt and uhh..."

"The Reaper turned them against us, in an attempt to give rise to some sort of Shadow Legion. It might be hard to do this without them but we still have you two and your mom."

Dawn looked a little uneasy, "So it's like what happened to Mom?"

I nodded, avoiding her gaze.

"But their crystals are safe, we put them in a very safe place," Andy mentioned.

"What about the blood crystals?"

I looked up, "What?"

"I forgot about them, the Reaper still has everyone else's blood infused into a crystal. You, back when you were still the Matriarch, made them when you attacked the Camp months ago. But I'd forgotten about them."

I closed my eyes, and focused on the Soul of F.E.A.R. I tried to see what the soul saw to find out what happened to them.

I saw the events after the Shadow Legion was created. The Reaper consumed the crystals and his eyes turned black and I was suddenly forced out of the view.

"What happened?"

"He's coming, he used the crystals to give himself power. He forced me from the Soul of F.E.A.R, I don't even know if I can absorb it anymore."

"What are you talking about?" Asked Eve, "Souls and passing out a lot, what does it all mean?"

My heart hurt and I felt a knot in my throat as I told them of how I came to be, but I didn't tell them about the consequences when I do succeed in containing both souls. They hugged me soon after.

Prophet, I called with my mind, I might have an idea but you'll hate me for it.

We went back into the Congregation, and I grabbed all of the crystals and placed them on the round table.

"A power transference."

Whoa. Deja vu, I thought.

"No Psyche, we can't. We don't know what it could do," Prophet protested.

"Lights are part of the Legion's Soul. Me having been the Matriarch gave me a piece of F.E.A.R's Soul. Saviour's talent is nearly identical to mine, it just might work. It'll stabilize the process—."

"Psyche," his eyes met mine, but his mind finished his sentence, Can I talk to you for a moment?

We went off to the side.

"We can't do this. We risk everything."

"The Reaper's risked everything and succeeded so far, we need to try."

"Then I'll do it. Our daughters need you."

"Prophet you can't, you're the one needed here. I absorb that Soul, I'll die. The girls might be able to stay but I won't. I was created for this purpose, let me be the sacrifice," I said, tears running down my face.

"Fine," He said, reluctantly.

"But we'll wait until they attack us, to do it okay?"

I nodded, "Thank you. But we still need to fully put a plan together."

"Should we go back to the dorm?"

"Yeah."