Chapter Ten: Day of Sorrow

Dawn/Angel's POV
~~
It's been two weeks since our unsuccessful attempt to kill the Matriarch.

I sat with Eve on the Chapel steps. We always liked to sit here and watch the other Legionnaires do what they needed to do.

"We'll be 14 this year right? I lost count," she confessed, carving out yet another star on the wood beside her with the same sharp rock she kept under the bottom stair.

"Yeah," I replied, watching her, "In two days I think. But remember, we can't mention it to Dad right now. Because of Mom."

"I know. But isn't the New Year's Day supposed to be in four days though?"

"Don't you remember what Uncle Ashley said? He told us that the Shadows attacked the Camp the night we were born. They just found her two days after."

"None of it makes sense though," she threw the rock into the small clearing, "Why Mom? Why any of this?! Why us?!"

I saw tears slide down my sister's cheek and threw my arms around her in a hug.

"I don't know, but that's why we need to get rid of the Matriarch. To 'save Mom's soul.'"

"I honestly wonder what happened that night. We were too young to remember."

"Me too sis."

~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~
[2 Days Later]

That morning, Eve and I went to the falls. We washed up and climbed to the top of the rock face.

We sat and watched the Camp. I took two apples out of a pocket in my shawl and gave one to Eve.

She ignited the stems.

"Happy 14th to us," I smiled somberly.

"Happy 14th," she mimicked.

We blew out the flames and pulled out the stems.

We ate the apples and kept our gaze on the Camp when a voice was heard.

"Angel, Saviour, what are you guys doing up there?"

It was Uncle Jake.

"How'd you find us?" Asked Eve.

He gave us a look, and we remembered his powers as the Mourner.

"Answer my question, we were all looking for you two."

"We've come up here every year since we were 10, why is it a surprise?" Said Eve.

"Because only you two knew that. Just, come down from there. Your dad's looking for you two."

I nodded and extended my wings, handing Eve my apple. I picked her up and flew us down to Jake.

"He usually spends this morning really sad, why is he looking for us?" I asked.

"I have a feeling this year's going to be different," he answered, a hint of a smile on his face.

He walked us back to the Camp and headed towards our uncles' dorm.

He opened the door and was met with the rest of the Wild Ones. Even Dad was there, a sad smile on his face.

"Surprise!" Yelled CC, giving us a big hug.

"Happy Birthday you two," smiled Jake.

Everyone gave us a hug. And the two of us proceeded to give our dad a hug.

"How's my girls?" He asked, ruffling my hair.

"We're fine...you remembered today," said Eve looking at the ground.

"I always remember today, I just remember two versions of it. Two different feelings too."

"Dawn! Eve! Come here, I want to give you guys something," said Uncle CC.

~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~
Andy/Prophet's POV
~~
After the girls went with CC, Jinxx came up to me.

"I'm a shitty dad," I said as he sat down.

"Don't think about her right now, live in the moment, your daughters need you. You've always spent the morning of their birthday in the Throne Room. You told me you quit for them. Now you have to move on. Besides, with the whole 'save her soul' thing, she's technically still out there. But you need to focus on the happier aspect of this day, your daughters."

He then got up and left.

I sat in my own thoughts for a couple minutes then decided to take his advice.

Amity might not be here anymore but our daughters were and they were all that mattered. I looked up and saw Eve laughing as she tried to wrestle out of one of CC's bear hugs.

I laughed and I felt things would get better.

I got up and gave Dawn a big old hug. We then enjoyed the day, no Shadows in sight.

Though I realized then that nothing ever happened on this day.

I dismissed the thought and lived in the moment.