Chapter 8

It's been a long 2 weeks away from Colby. You've had a ton of FaceTime calls and you were grateful for that, but you needed more. Tomorrow is Colby's doctor's appointment to see when his surgery is gonna be and you weren't on the card for Monday night or the next 3 live events so you went back to Davenport. You knocked on the door and heard Colby yell come in. You walked through the door and saw him with his leg propped up on the coffee table and he was playing his XBox. "Hey!". He smiled and sat up straighter and you walked over and sat on his lap careful to not hit his bad leg and kissed him long and passionately. "Whoa. Long time to see. Maybe we should spend time apart more often" "Oh shut up" you said laughing and kissed him. You talked and played video games and ordered a pizza. You guys spent the night talking and eating and laughing. Around 10PM Colby decided to go to bed so you followed him into his bedroom and helped him change clothes. He sat on the bed and took his knee brace off and carefully stood back up. He pulled his athletic shorts down as best as he could and sat back down on the bed. "No underwear, babe?" you joked. "They're too tight; they rub my knee and make it hurt". You both laughed a little and you slid his sweats over his knees and he pulled them the rest of the way up. You took off your pants and shirt and stood there in your bra and panties and Colby just sat there watching you. "Like what you see, Lopez?" you said as you pulled your bra off and slid his T-Shirt off. "Yeah, I do. Come here". The two of you quickly fell asleep.

The next morning around 8AM, you got up and helped Colby get his athletic shorts and socks and shoes on and he threw on a T-Shirt and a hoodie and put his knee brace on. You put on jeans and a hoodie and your Ugg boots and threw your hair up in a ponytail. Colby had his in a messy bun. You helped him to the car and drove him to the hospital.

At the hospital, you checked in and waited for the nurse. Shortly after checking in, the nurse called Colby's name and walked you to an exam room. Colby laid on the exam bed and looked at you nervously. "Colby Daniel Lopez, listen to me. No matter what happens, you are strong and can handle whatever life throws at you. You got this". He shook his head yes at you and you grabbed his left hand and kissed him. You were talking when the doctor walked in. "Well, Mr.Lopez, looks like you're gonna get to have this surgery sooner rather than later. How does Friday morning sound?". Colby looked at you and you squeezed his hand. "Of course. Thanks, Doc" "I'll have a nurse bring the paper work over. See you soon". The nurse came in about 10 minutes later and finalized the paperwork and you called his mom. "Hi, Mrs.Lopez. The doctor just left. Friday morning at 7 AM. He has to be here at 5. You're Welcome. Goodbye". After you hung up , you called Stephanie and told her. You and Colby made your way down to the car and you drove to his favorite lunch spot.

After lunch, you and Colby went back home and watched movies. At some point that evening, you and Colby had fallen asleep and you woke up around 3AM and had Colby go to bed. He was scared about what was about to happen, but he'll be okay. He's stronger than he thinks. You just hate that this is happening so close to WrestleMania.

Before you knew it, Friday morning was here. You and Colby woke up at 4AM and started making your way to the hospital. Once you got there, you got Colby checked in and in Pre-Op. You sat in the room with him while nurses came in and out taking vitals and finalizing paperwork and going over the procedure. It was now 6AM and they had given him morphine for the pain and to calm his nerves. The nurse came in at 6:30 and said they were gonna go ahead and take him down to the waiting area before surgery. He was higher than a kite and you couldn't help but laugh. "Rae. You are my favorite person on the whole planet" "I know, Colby. You're my favorite too". Just as they were wheeling him down the hall, he yelled for you so you walked to the elevator with him; holding his hand. "I'll see you in Post-Op, okay?" "Okay Rae. Hey that rhymed". You laughed and bent down and kissed him and went to walk off when he pulled your hand back to him and you stood by his bed. "Rae, Thank You for taking care of me. You're the best girlfriend ever. I love you". With that being said the nurses pushed his bed into the elevator and the doors close. Did he really just say I love you for the first time?

You walked to the waiting room thinking about what just happened and you saw his mom and Stephanie sitting there. You walked over and both of them stood up and met you in the waiting room doorway. "So?" "First, Stephanie, this is Colby's mom, Holly. Mrs.Lopez, this is my sister, Stephanie" "It's nice to meet you Stephanie and Rachael, I'm remarried so it's Mrs.Franklin" "Right! I'm sorry" "It's alright dear. How's Colby" "They just now took him back" "Why do you look so pale, Rae?" "It's nothing, Steph. Everything's fine" "I call BS. What happened?" "He told me he loved me. For the first time". Colby's mom looked over at you and smiled real big and hugged you. "It's about time, sweetie. He's been going on and on about how in love he is with you". You and Stephanie were sitting beside each other and Colby's mom went to the bathroom. "So, when did you meet the mother?" "At his house after he got hurt. She came over when I was getting ready to leave". Colby's mom came back with 3 water bottles. About 3 hours later, the doctor came by and said Colby was in Post-Op. "Mrs.Franklin, you should go" "No no, dear. He wants to see your face when he wakes up. I can promise you that" "Are you sure?" "I'm sure". A few minutes later a nurse came and got you and took you to Colby's room. You sat there for about 20 minutes before you felt him squeeze your hand.

"Good afternoon, Sleeping Beauty" you joked as you stood up to sit on the left side of the bed. Colby smiled sleepily and held your hand a little tighter. "What, I have surgery and I can't have a kiss? That's fucked up, babe". You laugh softly and lean down and kiss him; moving his hair out of his face. "I appreciate you moving my hair. It's been tickling my face for hooouuurrrsss". You laughed again and kissed him again. The doctor came in and said he was going to be discharged the next morning and that surgery went great. About 30 minutes later, his mom came walking in and visited for about an hour and went home. Around 7PM, Colby woke up not as high as he was after surgery, but not in any pain. You got up and sat on his left side again. "So... Do you remember what you said to me before you went in for surgery?" "No, not really. I didn't say anything embarassing, did I?" "No, nothing like that..." "Babe, what did I say?". You sat there for a minute and finally got the nerve to bring it up. "You said 'I love you' and fell asleep as you were going down for surgery" "Oh... I did?" "Yeah, you did". You looked at him and could tell that he was thinking if you felt the same way. "What did you say when I said that?" "I didn't say anything.. You were asleep before I could.. But I wanted to" "Oh yeah? What?" "I love you too". You smiled at him and he smiled widely and pulled you down for a kiss. "I can't believe I said I love you for the first time as I'm going into surgery". The two of you laughed and the nurse brought dinner by. Colby barely touched it and went to sleep shortly after she took it away. You were sleeping in the window bed. It was uncomfortable as Hell, but you needed to be with him.

The next morning, Colby got a new knee brace and was discharged. He starts Physical Therapy on Friday after his Post-Op appointment and was a little nervous, but you knew he could handle it. He can handle anything that's thrown at him.

Before you knew it, It was Friday morning and Colby had to be at physical therapy soon. The two of you got dressed in athletic shorts and T-Shirts and headed down to the health center. You sat there watching as they did all of these tests and exercises on him. You heard him say "Goddamn, this hurts" and start crying and you had to go to the car until it was over. After it was over, Colby got in the car and turned your face to look at him. "What's wrong? Why did you leave?". You started crying and he slid across the seat of his truck and pulled you into a hug. "Come on, Rae, talk to me". "I just... I HATE seeing you hurt like that. I tried being a supportive girlfriend and I tried to stay, but I couldn't handle seeing you in so much pain" "Babe, I'm okay. It's okay. It hurts like Hell, but that's the only way I'm gonna get better and back out on the road. You ARE a supportive girlfriend. You've been supportive this whole time. I understand if you don't wanna watch. You can be supportive from the lobby or the car or the house, wherever. As long as I have YOU to have my back and be a shoulder for me to figuratively and literally cry on.. I don't care where you are. I didn't expect you to sit there and watch; you know that, right?" "Yeah, I know" "Come here". Colby grabbed you and hugged you and kissed the top of your head. "I love you, Rae" "I love you too". You kissed him and he wiped your tears away and put his hand on your knee as you started his truck and pulled out of the parking lot