Cut It- Part 1*

A/N: Loosely based off of Rick Riordan's Mark of Athena ending. This headcanon will have 2 parts.

Hazel had never seen Percy so happy. The second the Argo II descended over the sinkhole and Percy saw her blonde hair, it was like the weight of the world had been lifted off of his shoulders. A huge grin broke out on his face and he pumped his fist in the air.

"Woohoo! Yea! That's my Wise Girl!"

As soon as Leo had the ship lined up with the hole, Percy threw the rope ladder over the rails and scurried down. Hazel and Nico followed, just not as quickly. Hazel didn't think it was humanly possible to move as quickly as Percy did.

Once Hazel had descended into the cavern, her heart warmed. Annabeth's arms were wrapped tightly around Percy. He had his nose nuzzled into her hair. The blond strands were covered in cobwebs and seemed a bit tangled, but Percy didn't seem to mind.

"Thank the gods," Hazel heard him mumble quietly. "Thank the gods for giving you back to me."

Annabeth chuckled, gave Percy one last squeeze, then turned her head to the forty-foot ivory statue of Athena standing nearby. "We need to take care of this. The whole room's structure is severely compromised. If we don't get her to the ship-"

The room began rumbling, distracting Annabeth and everyone else in the cavern. Bits of concrete fell from the ceiling. Percy managed to tug Annabeth to the side just before a Fiat from the parking lot fell into the cavern and promptly toppled into the pit Arachne had fallen into just moments before.

But what really caught Hazel's attention was the snapping noises. The webbed support cables holding the Athena Parthenos were tearing one by one.

"Secure it!" Annabeth screamed. "Don't let her fall!"

By this time Jason and Frank had made their way into the cavern and were the first ones to act. Jason threw a rope around the statue's neck like an extremely large noose. Frank, currently in Eagle form, managed to get another rope around the statue's feet.

Suddenly, Annabeth let out a yelp. Hazel took her eyes away from the action to assess the situation.

Annabeth was staring down at her injured ankle with a concerned look on her face. Percy was looking her up and down trying to make sure she was alright.

"Something is- Gah!"

Annabeth was ripped out of Percy's arms. She fell to the floor and landed on her stomach. Something was pulling her toward the pit in front of the Athena Parthenos.

There was a long gossamer strand of webbing attached to Annabeth's makeshift cast. The other end of the strand led directly downward into the pit.

"Cut it!" Hazel tried to yell. Her voice failed her. She cleared her throat and tried again. "Cut it!" She managed to get out this time. "Her leg! Cut it!"

Percy gave her a confused look. "What do you..."

He never finished his sentence because he finally realized Annabeth was being pulled away from him. He shouted and leaped forward. Hazel cringed at the sound his chin made as it smacked the concrete floor.

He'd just managed to grab her left hand. Percy lay on his stomach at the edge of the pit, his right arm outstretched, holding Annabeth's left one. His left arm was bent next to him, the heel of his palm digging into the floor. If he were to move it even slightly, he'd slide forward and send himself and Annabeth into the abyss.

Annabeth's entire body was over the edge, the only thing keeping her from slipping being Percy's strong grip.

"Someone! Help!" Percy shouted sloppily.

Jason and Frank had flown the statue to the ship already, leaving Hazel and Nico alone with Percy and Annabeth. Nico was trapped in the far corner of the cavern. The path from him to Percy was obstructed by several holes that had opened when the Fiat fell. Hazel was in the same sort of situation; there wasn't a place she could step that wouldn't send her straight to Tartarus.

"Let go!" Hazel heard Annabeth shout. "Just let go! I'm not worth it!"

"The hell you're not!" Percy shouted back.

"You'll fall with me! Just let go, Percy!"

"No way!"

Despite his best efforts, Percy's hand was slipping. Nico looked around frantically for any way to get to them, but it just wasn't physically possible.

Annabeth said something Hazel couldn't quite make out. Percy shook his head. "No. You can't do this. You can't do this!"

And then to Hazel's horror, Annabeth began frantically wriggling her wrist. Percy tried for as long as he could to keep his grip, but Annabeth was resisting with every bit of energy she had left. Finally, after several seconds, Percy lost his grip. Annabeth's arm disappeared, and she fell into the pit.