Tragedy*

Leo's job had him traveling fairly often. His wife didn't work, so she stayed and watched over the house. Leo was scheduled to go on a longer-than-usual trip, and was reluctant to leave his spouse.

"You're sure you'll be alright?" He asked her.

She giggled. "I'll be fine, Leo. Always am."

"And you'll call me if you need me?"

"I always do, sweetheart. Now go. I'll have your favorite meal made by the time you get home, alright?"

"I'll miss you," he said to her.

"I know you will. Now, you're going to miss your flight. Get moving."

Leo's business trip was rather uneventful, until the day before he was supposed to return home. His phone rang, and the display showed an area code from hsi city, but the number itself he didn't recognize."

"Who's this?" He asked when he answered.

"Is this Leo Valdez, husband of Marissa Valdez?"

"Yes, who's speaking."

"This is Doctor Reed Mire from St.Vincent Hospital. I am so sorry, sir, but your wife just passed away in our emergency room."

Leo was in shock. Surely this had to be a prank call. This had to be a joke, right?

"Whoever this really is, this isn't funny. I don't appreciate being lied to."

The man on the other end of the line sighed. "Sir, this isn't a joke. You're wife is gone."

Leo was silent for several moments. "What? Wh- How? How did this happen?"

"Fire Department says-"

"Hold up!" Leo shouted. "Fire Department?"

"There was a fire at your home, sir. The fire department says the stove was left on accidentally and sparked. They found a dish still in the oven."

Leo pinched the bridge of his nose. "Lasagna. There was lasagna in the dish. It's my favorite. My wife said she would have my favorite meal ready when I got home..."