Surprises*

The last gift Annabeth received from her mother was her New York Yankees cap, which rendered its wearer invisible. The hat had saved her life and the lives of her friends more times than she could count, and had become a staple when it came to quests or journeys of any sort.

Annabeth figured a gift so useful would be the only thing she'd get from her mother. The only physical thing, at least. She knew Athena watched over her and helped her out of sticky situations from time to time, but she was a god. Gods are busy. They quite literally run the world. They didn't have time to spoil each and every one of their children.

That's why Annabeth was especially surprised when she woke up in her cabin on her birthday, and there was a Snowy Owl perched on the ledge outside of her window.

She quickly dressed and ran outside to better observe the bird. The owl didn't fly away as she approached, but simply tilted its head and gazed at her with striking yellow eyes. It held out its skinny left leg to her where a small piece of parchment was rolled and tied. Annabeth gently removed the letter and opened it.

"For my child, who has shown knowledge unrivaled and wisdom beyond her years."