Blessing*

Frank would do anything for his mother. Hazel knew that the moment she met him. She'd understandably been a major rock in Frank's life. Losing her was painful for him. He wanted to honor her in any way he could.

But Hazel was reluctant to let Frank join the military.

"You've done so much fighting as a demigod," she said to him. "Why would you want to do more of it as a soldier?"

Frank chuckled in a sad sort of way. "I'm honestly not totally sure. I just know it feels right. I mean, so many people have sacrificed their lives for me. It's the least I can do. And my mom. She gave her life for her comrades."

Hazel started breathing quickly. "You're saying you plan on getting killed?"

Frank realized he was scaring her, and quickly grabbed her hands. "No! No, that's not what I mean at all. I'm just trying to say that I want to be there for people who need someone protecting them. I could do a lot of good, Hazel. I could save so many people with my gift. I just need your blessing."

Hazel was taken aback. "My blessing?"

Frank tilted his head and nodded like it was obvious. "Of course. Did you really think I was going to go off and join the military without asking if you were okay with it?"