Similarities*

After Percy graduated high school, Sally's life calmed down quite a bit. Percy was away at college, and her and Paul were doing very well. 

"I'm not used to his," Sally told Paul one morning.

Paul turned away from the dish he was cleaning and gave her a confused look. "Used to what?"

Sally chuckled. "Things being calm around here! I don't know...It's just odd not having my stomach knotted in worry all of the time."

Paul rolled his eyes and smiled. "I would think you'd enjoy it, not worrying about your son dying."

"I've been doing it for so long I guess it's just become a habit."

They were silent for a moment. Then, slowly, Sally grabbed Paul's hand. "I think it's going to stay a habit."

Paul looked her in the eyes, realization dawning on his face. A huge grin broke out on his face. "You mean...Really? Are you sure?"

Sally nodded. "We're having a baby."

Percy knocked on the door of his childhood home, waiting for his mother to let him in. He'd long ago surrendered his key, as he'd been away at college for almost a year.

Roughly nine months ago Sally called Percy to inform him that he'd have a sibling by the end of the year. He'd never been more excited. That's why when Paul called to inform him that the baby had been born, he caught the first flight home.

The door opened and Percy saw Paul's glowing face. "Welcome home, Perc. Come on in."

There they were, Sally and the Baby, sitting on the couch. Percy plopped right down next to them and held his arms out. "Hand me the kid."

Sally shook her head and placed the child in Percy's outstretched arms. Percy was so incredibly happy in that moment. Having a true sibling was all he'd ever wanted. Sure, he had Tyson. He loved the big guy. But it wasn't the same as having a mortal sibling. It was something he'd always dreamed of.

As Percy rocked the child and observed him more closely, the smile on his face started to fade. There was something oddly familiar about the child. The little blonde tuft of hair on the top of his head. The way his blue eyes seemed to sparkle. There was even a small white mark, possibly a birthmark in this case, on his lip. Percy was starting to think the child had a face that was astonishingly similar to a good friend of his he lost in the battle against Gaea.

Percy looked at his mother, his eyes widening. Sally seemed to know what he'd been thinking and nodded sadly.

"I know. That's what I thought. He looks exactly like Jason."