Chapter 18 - Anger

Start from the beginning

"No Casie, not Ok, promise?" He repeated.

"I promise," she mumbled.

Dutch reached behind Casie, and untied the ropes, binding her wrists. The ropes had started to cut in, and there was some blood on her wrists, but Casie seemed to be oblivious to the pain. He did the same with the rope around her ankle.

Dutch wrapped his arms round Casie, to hug her. But unlike in the past there was no response, her arms just hung limp at her side, she didn't bury her head in his chest, like she used to, when she was hurting.

Dutch sat back, and looked at Casie, "what are you thinking, feeling right now?" He asked.

Casie looked at him, she frowned. "Empty," she sighed, "I feel empty."

Dutch got up from the edge of the bed, and Casie lay down again, facing the wall.

He sat on a chair on the other side of the room, and just watched her. He wasn't sure if they would be able to get her back, not this time.

Hosea quietly opened the door to Casie's room. Dutch was just sitting on the chair, staring at Casie.

"How long have you been sitting there, old friend?" Hosea asked.

Dutch looked at his pocket watch. "About three hours, she's totally shut down, Hosea, its like she feels nothing. Not even the wounds on her wrist, where the ropes have cut in."

Hosea looked across at Casie. "I'll go and get some food, and some medical supplies, and see how I get on."

Dutch nodded. "Someone needs to be with her all the time, she promised she wouldn't try and hurt herself, but I'm still not sure. Maybe Arthur or Micah can get through to her."

Hosea returned shortly, He walked over, and sat on the edge of Casie's bed.

He put everything on a small table, then motioned at Dutch, for him to leave.

Dutch hesitated, as he reached the doorway, and glanced across at Casie, not sure how it had come to this.

Hosea, gently touched Casie's arm, "let me look at your wrists, and you need to eat something."

Casie sat up, and stared blankly at Hosea. She held her wrists out, staying silent.

Hosea started to bathe the abrasions on Casie's wrists. She winced slightly, but that was the only change that came across her face. He finished bandaging her wrists.

"How is your shoulder?" He asked.

Casie undid her shirt and slid it off her shoulder. Hosea examined the wound.

"We can take the stitches out in a couple of days." He said, putting her shirt back over her shoulder.

Hosea passed Casie the bowl of stew.

Casie ate the stew with a blank face, as though there was no taste to it, almost just going through the motions. She passed the empty bowl to Hosea.

"Casie, talk to me." Hosea said, a concerned look on his face.

"What do you want me to say?" She asked, "I don't want to be here, but I promised I wouldn't hurt myself."

"Why did you promise, Casie?" He asked.

Casie thought for a moment "Because Dutch asked me to."

"And if I had asked you to, you would have done the same? Or Arthur, or Micah?" He questioned.

"No," she said, shaking her head. "I would only promise Dutch, he's my father now."

Hosea Nodded, "I think I understand," he acknowledged.