Grateful || Jack Maynard

Y/N's hand trembled even as she read the little sign for what seemed like the one-millionth time. Her mind was whirring a thousand miles an hour. Pregnant. But how, surely not? 

The two lines didn't fade, though. 

Pregnant.

Y/N steadied her breathing. "Jack?" She called from the bathroom floor. "Could you come in here for a second, please?"

Jack was just next door in the bedroom, so he cracked the door open carefully, then, seeing Y/N on the floor, pushed through quickly. "Are you okay?" He asked urgently.

His concern made Y/N want to laugh, but she also was full of fear that instead she just started to cry again. Jack grabbed both her shoulders. "Y/N," he said, "Talk to me."

"I..." Y/N couldn't speak, the panic running through her brain like wildfire. What if he was angry? What if he was sad? What if he was happy? Somehow, that was the scariest option. If he wanted the baby... Her eyes darted down to the test in terror, and Jack's followed. As she watched, his eyes widened and her stomach dropped.

His mouth gaped. "Is it... are you..." Now it was his turn to be speechless.

Y/N just cried harder, nodding.

"Y/N, I..."

"I'm sorry, Jack, I'm so sorry, I don't know how, I thought..." The words spilled out of her trembling lips. She gripped his biceps with her fingers tightly, hanging on to the one thing in the world that she could rely on.

His eyes were confused, though, his eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean, you're sorry?" He asked. "About... the baby?"

Y/N raised a tear-streaked face to gaze at him. "You're not ... not scared?" She questioned, her sore eyes probing his face.

"Scared? Of course I'm fucking scared." Jack laughed, rubbing the tops of her arms with his big hands. "That's not the word I would've chosen to use, though. I would've picked something like... excited? Nervous? Grateful?"

An apprehensive laugh bubbled out of Y/N's mouth. "Grateful? For this?"

"For you," Jack's eyes were urgent all of a sudden. "How could I be sorry about something that will only bring the two of us closer?" His face became distant, dream-like. "A little person, half you, half me..."

** three years later **

"Gotcha!" Jack swung the tiny, blonde-headed girl in a circle before lifting her into his arms. She threw her head back, giggling hysterically, as she tried to escape.

"No, daddy, no!" She squealed excitedly. One of her waving arms caught the side of his head and she just laughed harder. "Down, daddy! Bad!"

Y/N peered around the doorway from the kitchen and leaned on the frame, folding her arms. "Brilliant," she smiled with a shake of her head. "Just what we want before bedtime."

"MUMMY!" The little girl, Aspen, let out a scream of excitement. "Down, down, down!" She chanted, beating her tiny fists against her dad's shoulders.

Jack laughed and lowered her feet to the ground. "Hey, babe." He followed Aspen over, wrapping his arms around his wife and pressing a kiss to the top of her head. "I can be on bedtime duty tonight. How was work?"

"You're sure as hell on bedtime duty tonight," Y/N replied with a grin as 12kg of toddler slammed into her knees. "Work was average. I need to sit down." Her head tilted back so she could appreciate his face. "You can do your bedtime duty, and while you're getting this one comfortable-" she hefted her daughter up onto her hip and gave her a squeeze, "- I'll get something sorted for us to drink. How does that sound?"

Jack wrapped his arms around both of his girls with a grin. "I would be extremely grateful for that."