Conflict || Josh Pieters

Requested by: @SlxttyMaynard @Kamigirl5782

"Get out of my way, you big ginger fuck," Y/N said in frustration. Josh turned his head to look down on her where she stood, arms full of boxes of cheap alcohol, then turned back to the wall.

"Sorry, short stuff, I'm trying to clean up this mess here." He replied. "I'll be five minutes."

Fuming, Y/N spun on her heel and headed back into the lounge room. She set the boxes down on the rug and instead focused on rearranging the furniture to leave enough room for dancing. Josh and her were the only ones at Joe's apartment at the moment, preparing for his birthday party tonight, while he was finishing off his notices to the neighbours. It was a well known fact that Josh and Y/N didn't get along, but both of them had volunteered to help Joe and couldn't pull out.

As she struggled with dragging the sofa across the floorboards, Josh made his way back into the room. "Need some help, hun?" He called. Y/N clenched her jaw.

"I'm fine," She replied through her teeth, and watched Josh shrug.

"Suit yourself." He said knowingly. He waltzed into the kitchen and began to make himself something to drink, watching her struggle over the counter. By the time he'd finished his drink, she'd successfully moved the couch approximately a foot further over and was considering taking a break. "Need some help?" He asked again, and although she gritted her teeth in agitation, she nodded. His taunting smile made her clench her fists.

They managed to get the sofa up against the wall, Y/N digging her heels into the floor to try and help him drag it even while knowing she wasn't helping at all, then moved onto the two other individual chairs as well. While Y/N was finishing up by sorting the rug, Josh began to position a few hired, plastic chairs around the room for using throughout the party. She watched him with her hands on her hips then began to reposition them behind him as he moved across the room.

His attention was caught when the one of the chairs squeaked against the floorboards, and he turned to look at her. "What are you doing?" He asked, his eyes judgemental.

"Just fixing the setup," she shrugged, "It didn't look right."

Josh's eyebrows scrunched together. "It looked fine to me." He replied.

"I mean, maybe from up there it did, but from a normal person's height it looked fairly shit." She gestured to where two chairs were sitting back to back. "That looks practical, doesn't it?"

"I'm sure people will be able to pick them up and shuffle them to how they want. You're the only person I've met so far that can't move a chair." He shot back scathingly.

Y/N scowled. "But what's the point of putting them down at all if they're just gonna be shifted straight away? May as well just leave them in the fucking stack."

Putting down the chair he was holding, Josh turned to stand directly across from her. "This isn't a formal dinner, babe. This is a party. I understand that it's not the way you were raised, but not everybody was born into a golden cradle and the majority of people won't mind picking up a chair to make themselves more comfortable."

Y/N almost took a step back but forced herself to square up to him. Just because he was big didn't make him intimidating. Or at least, that's what she tried to tell herself. "Don't bring my family into this. This isn't about how formal the party is, I just think it's pointless to do things half-arsed. But it's fine, you do it your way. I'll do a Josh special and stand in the kitchen with a drink while watching the other person do all the work." She slammed the chair she was holding down onto the floor and marched straight out and into the kitchen. Josh watched her with an amused expression, as if she were a child having a tantrum, and it boiled her blood. She wanted to yell at him to stop staring but knew that that would only confirm his thoughts; that she was a spoilt brat struggling to live by herself out in the big world.

After Y/N had poured and drank a glass of orange juice, Josh was still working on the chairs. It had made her feel superior at first to stand and watch him but began to feel weirder to her when nothing eventful happened, so she decided to move through the house and do some basic tidying of the bedrooms. Even though no one was supposed to go in them, she knew that people would end up there and wanted them to look decent.

When she was fixing up Joe's bed covers, she felt a hand land on her shoulder and automatically tensed. "What do you want?" She asked sharply, looking up to meet Josh's blue eyes.

"Lay off," he replied defensively. "I wanted to say sorry. I shouldn't have paid you out for something you can't help, or anything at all actually. This whole argument thing is stupid and immature. You're not actually half bad. Personality too. I mean- I just wanted to offer a truce. I'll let it go if you do?" He trailed off into a question at Y/N's stony expression. She wasn't one to give up a grudge easily, but watching him stumble through an apology made her consider it. Because honestly, he was just an oversized, ginger twat, but wasn't Joe just an undersized, brunette twat when it came down to it? Weren't all boys just different forms of twat?

Finally, she gave him a small smile, a tiny quirk of her lips. "Okay. Deal. I'll let it go if you do, starting tonight."

Josh visibly relaxed, then tensed again. "Tonight? What's wrong with now?" He asked.

Y/N smirked. "We haven't finished setting up yet, hun. I'm giving us a chance."