Competitive || Joe Sugg

*author's note*
lol speaking of comebacks hi fam hope you've had a good three months xxx

"Are you ready to get beaten, Sugg?" Y/N asked teasingly as Joe came within talking distance. She was twirling her minigolf club on the floor.

He pretended not to hear her. "Sorry, what was that? Can we make this quick, I have somewhere to be."

Y/N gave him a shove with the palm of her hand and laughed. "Get a move on, I'm ready to play," she told him. Grinning enough to show his dimple, Joe approached the man at the counter to exchange a £10 note for a club and little red golf ball. Y/N watched him from where she was standing, contemplating for not the first time what it would be like if they were a couple doing this. Since they'd met, almost a year ago already, they'd spent most of their time together competing. Both of them lived by the motto 'life's a competition'.

Joe shot her a bemused expression. "What are you looking at me like that for?" He asked, tossing his ball in the air and catching it one handed without breaking eye contact.

Y/N shook her head to clear it, smiling at him. "Nothing." She laughed. "Just thinking."

"That makes a change," Joe remarked, and dodged her attempt at a smack. "Let's go play, shall we?" He offered her his hand and she took it with a smirk. He led them onto the course and dropped his backpack at the first hole, pulling the scorepad and pencil from its front pocket. Once he'd written the names out, he turned with a raised eyebrow. "So what are we playing for today? What's the prize? Something new?"

Y/N's eyes turned interested. "So we're not going for the usual prizes? Pride, bragging rights...?"

"I thought we'd switch it up,"

"What's your suggestion?"

"Well, I was thinking something a little bit basic. The good old, if I win, I get to take you out for a real date?"

Y/N froze for a split second then laughed nervously, "Good one. So you're obviously not expecting to win?"

Joe raised his eyebrow. "You should know I always expect to win." He replied, and Y/N felt his blue gaze wash over her, leaving her lightheaded. She broke away to toss her golf ball lightly in the air.

"Alright then, let's see your best."

* * * *

By hole 9, Y/N was starting to regret her earlier attitude. Whether it was the fact that she couldn't remember the last time she'd played mini golf or the added pressure of Joe's 'prize' (or consequence), her standard wasn't quite what she'd expected. Joe was starting to get cocky, attempting trick shots and spinning his club around in one hand while she was lining up for shots.

They took their break at the halfway point, Joe shouting them each a coke. It was empty enough today that they weren't worried about slowing down anyone, so they took their time, chatting and teasing each other over their progress.

"Interesting choice of consequence, Joe," Y/N finally brought up, and his dimple broke out again.

"Consequence," he repeated with an amused look. "Gee, you sure know how to get a man where it hurts, Y/N/N." He laughed off her automatic defences, giving her a playful push on the shoulder. "I'm joking, I'm joking. I'm offended you think I'm not serious, though. I figured this would be a way to take a bit of the pressure off. Didn't expect to get interrogated about it, of course."

Y/N felt the blood rush into her cheeks. Serious? It wasn't just a silly consequence? She knew her mouth was open and her eyes wide, but she couldn't quite wrap her mind around the concept. She'd contemplated the idea of them as a couple, but never seriously. Obviously, they got along well, but the thought of their friendship going further than how it was was something she'd never really considered.

Joe's bravado had worn off slightly and he spun his club with a little less enthusiasm. "Should we continue?" He questioned her.

Bringing herself back to earth, Y/N nodded brightly. "Yes. As long as you're ready for the comeback, of course?"

"I was born ready, Y/L/N."

The game continued like normal, but from behind Y/N's eyes, everything had changed. She began to notice not just the cocky club swinging and confidence that Joe portrayed, but the concentration in his eyes when he was preparing for a shot, or the tiny grimace when he didn't achieve what he wanted. He was always so hard on himself, and Y/N found herself realizing how much she respected that. The dedication he had towards his career and his life in general amazed her.

"Y/N, switch on! You talked up the comeback and this is your chance," he double-checked the scorecard. "If you get a 2 or under on this hole, you win."

Y/N shot him a confident smile. "Easy. Hate to hurt your feelings, but you know how it is." She stepped up to the mark and placed her ball carefully on the spot. Her eyes traced the line she was going to follow, and she took aim. The first hit was spot on, and the ball rolled perfectly up the hill and back down, slowing down perfectly within centimetres of the hole. As she followed the ball, though, Y/N's eyes caught Joe's and he gave her a challenging smile. The electric shock that came with the smile took her completely by surprise and left her feet rooted to the ground. It was as if everything around them suddenly shrunk, his face being the only clear thing in her vision. She was being dragged into his blue gaze, then suddenly she was rocketed back to earth, lightheaded and dizzy.

She forced herself to concentrate again, moving her feet to move closer to the ball, but this time she carelessly lined up the shot and putted without any consideration. The ball sailed smoothly along the ground, edging beside the hole but swinging back out towards the wall.

There was a moment of silence, then Joe snorted. "Not gonna lie, that was a disappointing end to an impressive game."

"Disappointing?" Y/N asked with a grin. "Gee, you sure know how to get a girl where it hurts, Joe."

His eyes snapped open, the blue burning into hers. He didn't speak.

"I guess I lost, then. So where are you gonna take me?" Y/N questioned. "I sure hope you're not a boring 'dinner and a movie' type person. That would be a disappointment after all this hype."

Finally, Joe's cocky grin returned. He twirled his club around then threw it up and caught it one-handed. "Oh, no." He replied, brushing his fingers through his tousled hair. "If there one there's one thing this date won't be, it's disappointing."