That's the Plan || Conor Maynard

"Aw. Oh my god. They are the most adorable things I have ever seen." Y/N gushed to her boyfriend, staring through the glass of the pet shop at the puppies sitting behind. Three tiny Border Collies were gazing back intently at her and Conor as they stood there holding hands. Since she was little, Y/N had dreamed of having a dog just like them, loving their little faces and big eyes, and couldn't help herself coming in once she had seen them.

She turned a pair of her own puppy dog eyes on Conor. "Aren't they beautiful?" She asked, pouting her bottom lip.

Conor's lips curled up into a small smile. "Yes. They're adorable." He replied, his tone slightly teasing.

Y/N tapped her fingers against the glass. "They're bloody gorgeous." She told him. "I've always wanted one, since I was only young."

"I know." Conor replied. "You've told me. A few times." His words were condescending but his soft smile gave him away. It was clear just looking into his ocean-blue eyes the compassion inside him for her. Since they'd first met, he had done everything he could just to prove to her how much he appreciated her, from leaving flowers at her house to surprising her with expensive dates out on random nights.

"I love them." Y/N said, turning her big eyes back to the glass cage. Conor's eyes followed hers, watching her expression intently. "We should get one." She said sombrely.

On cue, he replied. "Okay." He said simply, and Y/N's jaw dropped.

"What?"

"Okay." Conor repeated. "Let's get one. Why not?"

Y/N was frozen, then she threw her arms around him and hugged him tightly. "Are you serious?" She asked, burying her face in his chest. She knew that, technically, she was old and able enough to get a puppy herself, but after three years of being with Conor, it had become a joint decision.

Conor was laughing into her hair. "Yes, I'm serious." He replied, holding her at arm's length to look into her bright eyes. "I mean, surely we should be responsible enough to raise a puppy."

She giggled, not able to stop herself from staring at the puppies. One of them was going to be in her own house! "Well, let's hope so."

"Take it as our first step towards becoming parents, hey?" Conor suggested with a lopsided smile.

Y/N's head spun back quickly. Kids? She couldn't help the slow beam that spread across her lips. "Kids?" She asked him, and watched his cheeks colour lightly. His hands fidgeted in hers slightly.

"Well, I mean, not now, obviously. But it's been three years, you know." He dropped one of her hands to run his fingers through his hair. "I can't say I haven't thought about it."

Her grin now spreading right across her face, Y/N stood on tiptoe to press her lips against his. "Great." She said. "So, start with the puppy and then move on to bigger and better things?" She asked teasingly.

Conor kissed her back, his lips lingering slightly longer on hers. "That's the plan."