:) 27- You Always Do (:

"You know, it's only 3 days til D-day."

"Wonderful."

"Don't give me that tone, bitch," Edward laughs.

"I'm just in a mood," I defend myself.

Edward rolls his eyes, "When are you not?"

I huff in response and keep walking.

3 days. I only had to survive three days. It shouldn't be that hard. I've survived this far, three more days should be a breeze.

3 days till Lily is 18.

Yet, it's not a breeze. Every time I walk down the halls I unconsciously look above all the heads trying to spot his hair. I think about what I'll say or do if we have an odd encounter.

I even plan my outfits for each day, thinking first if he will like it and second, if the colors are ones I know he likes. Superficial? Yes. It's all in the hope that my passing figure will catch his eye and his guilt will rise again.

It shouldn't be hard, but it is. Because I have missed my best friend for far too long and now that I am so close to finally being able to laugh with him again I am held back. It's like trying to get back into the country after going to Mexico. Damn wall gives me a headache.

"I can feel all your tension from here."

I look him up and down then shift my gaze to Grayson, "And I can feel your sexual tension from here."

"Your tension blocks my view of the board."

He's a child. But I'm a child too.

Before I walk away I turn to Edward quickly. I have to be the last man standing, he shall not get the last laugh.

"Your tension makes every mans' peen shoot up."

"What the fuck, Lucy," Edward pulls a disgusted face but still manages to laugh.

I shrug my shoulders and smile as I walk on to the back of the classroom, my usual spot. The place where I can scan and judge everyone silently.

"Aren't you gonna go sit by your partner?" I raise my eyebrows towards Edward.

"I'm considering it with that attitude of yours," he replies with that lovely sass of his.

I turn to actually look up at Edward, "Or, you could read the board that says sit with your partner."

Edward turns to the front of the room, realization that I, for once, am not lying. "Fuck off."

He readjusts his backpack and walks on to where Grayson is waiting. He's been glancing back here since we walked in. But since I'm such a good friend I decided not to embarrass Edward any further. Although, he'd probably like the attention.

I can barely hear the conversation going between Edward and Grayson, but I eavesdrop nonetheless.

"How are you?" Edward begins.

"I was good, but now I'm great," Grayson starts the flirting between the two of them.

It's sad to say that I'm more invested in their relationship than my own, which I don't have anyway so this works out.

Edward starts flirting back, "Glad I can make your day better."

"You always do."

The boy is smooth!

"You know," Grayson begins, "There's something that could make my day wonderful."

"Penis."

And now I'll never know what Grayson was going to suggest.

The chair that Edward usually sits in is pulled back and a giant sack of idiot plummets into it. Well, it was Ryan but same difference.

"No stupid remark?" I look at him.

"I'm good," His answer is short and clipped.

I turn further to face him and actually look at his face, mainly his eyes. Surprisingly, they aren't rimmed with red like they usually are when he's high. His iconic smell of weed is also MIA which never happens.

"So that's why you're in a crappy mood."

"Yeah yeah, whatever."

"It's nice to see you like this, sober," I add to make him more irritated.

"You said you wanted an A. This is how we're gonna do it," He grumbles.

I smile, "I'm glad you took me seriously."

"I just thought I'd like to have both balls till college."

Wow, let's take a moment of appreciation. We stan a sober stoner. Making strides no man has done before. He'll be in our history books.

I just roll my eyes and change my attention back to Edward. He seems happy with a big smile on his face as he's having an animated conversation with Grayson. The butterflies in my stomach multiply slightly for him. Guess I really do care about the guy. I wish I could hear the conversation they're having 3 rows in front of me but, sadly, I wasn't born with supersonic hearing. It's the bad genes my parents gave me.

"Alright Ryan, look at me."

"What?" He exasperates.

"No need for that tone. I get that today has probably been the hardest day for you, but look on the bright side. You'll actually remember this day for the rest of your life," I smile to him.

He rolls his eyes, "Great. This conversation has been one to remember."

"Fine. What would you like to talk about then?"

"I dunno."

It's my turn to roll my eyes at his stupidity, "Wow, great."

"Do you remember that day?" He suddenly asks.

"Totally," I roll my eyes.

"Right before summer," He tries to jog my memory.

My eyes widen as I remember the god awful day that led to me Ryan, not in a weird way. "Yes, I do."

"You do remember?" He seems sort of surprised.

"How could I forget," I glare at him, "We promised to never speak of it again."

Ryan chuckles, "We did. I kept that promise, until now."

"Why's that?"

"Because I want to know what version you remember."

I furrow my eyes slightly. Ryan was being so philosophical in his sober state. I really did miss the old Ryan. The Ryan I trust.

"The version where you actually saved my life."

Ryan laughs again, "I love that version, but we all know that's not what happened."

"What version do you remember?" I ask him.

"The version where," He hesitates to answer, "I finally won the girl's heart."

"Bye mom!" I yelled as I zoomed down the stairs.

"I thought you were gone already."

I don't have time to respond since I'm already out the door.

I was late. Oh, so late to school. My alarm clock had done its job poorly. Meaning I refused to get up. The adrenaline pumped through my veins as I sped down the neighborhood. It was a 15 minute drive, good thing I only had 5 minutes before I was officially late.

"Breathe, you'll be fine," I tried to convince myself.

That was the least of my worries for the day. And it was a long ass day.

-*-
Oof, you'll just have to read the next chapter. But vote, comment, and smile while you wait for the next chapter to come out.