A Hot Meal

Despite being choked by the memory, he could still hear his name. Pausing, the familiar stranger continued.

"It's been a long time... Have you been well?"

He had not the slightest clue of what to say besides, "Well." with a nod.

"Well," he chuckled. "that's good. I'm glad you're doing well..." His feet began shuffling slowly away from the mentally distant stranger that he'd wished he'd never met.

"Wait!" Again, he paused. "Are you hungry?" Begrudgingly biting his lip, he tightened his fists before letting it all go with a sigh. "Let's just grab something to eat together. I'll pay for you."
"With what money?" he huffed.

He chuckled. "I'm not totally poor, you know. I manage." he grinned, causing him to grimace with his eyes. Finally turning around, he was able to see Taehyung's face. Smiling, he stood with both hands in his pockets. "There's a food shop not too far from this place. Shall we go?"

Leading the way, he trailed behind him, sulking in what was left of a bitter memory.

~

"Oh my go-! You shot him! He shot him!" Sirens went off as the blood of those three wounded bodies dressed the streets. Those blood stains that could never be removed...

~

I don't want to remember this...

"We're here." Snapping him out of his thoughts, his eyes landed upon the brightly shining strip of places to eat. "I usually come here most days to see if I can get any leftovers, but on a good day, like today, I pay for my meal." He smiled.

Why are you so happy?

This is not normal..

"Let's get this. You still like Tteokbokki?" He glanced over at him before proceeding to order. "Two tteokbokki meals to go."
"I'll pay for it."
"No. I wanna treat you tonight." Reaching in his pocket, he gave Taehyug a hard glare.
"No. I'm paying." Suddenly, the woman came to hand over the boxes and smiled.
"You take these on the house tonight."
"What? No, I couldn't possibly-."
"Taehyung, you don't always come around, but when you do, you always overpay. Take these and go."

Chuckling to himself, Taehyung signaled to him to follow. "Come on. Let's find a seat."

Once seated, Taehyung watched with joy as his old friend had begun to eat. "The food here is good isn't it?" He nodded in response. "I haven't seen you in years. I'm just glad you're finally okay."

Lies..

"Have you seen Jungkook lately?"
"I wish I hadn't."
"He comes to see me sometimes."
"Yeah.." he mumbled, taking out a burning stick. Suddenly, as he lit the his addiction, Taehyung's smile faded.

"I'm sorry." He started, yet he seemed to be ignoring him just as he had done all those years ago. "I really am sorry. I never meant for things to end up like this." He rolled his eyes in response with a light chuckle. "All I meant to do was bring you closer to me. I really wanted to be there for you. I never wanted us to separate."
"Yeah, well, you seem to have wanted a lot of things." He took in another puff of smoke. "But we can't always have what we want, can we?" Pausing, his cold eyes pierced right through Taehyung's soul before returning his attention back to the cigarette.
"Is Ji-?"

"You know, I would really prefer it if you didn't speak to me about the past. What happened, happened. There's no replay or reset button. There's not even a pause button. You just press 'Play'." Reaching in his pocket, he slapped some money on the table. "Here. Use this for food and shelter for the week. I have to go."
"But-."
"Thank you for the food. It was nice-..." He paused.

Is this really the truth?
Should I even say this?

But if this is the last time I ever see him, it's worth saying..

"...to see you again..."