Familiarity

"If you were smart,

You'd get out of that group.."

~

T

he world was spinning. Though his eyes were closed, it felt as if the world had put him on a platter and had begun to spin the disk. His eyelids tightened as he prepared to awaken. And when he did, the spinning stopped.

All at once, the world came to a halt and his eyes became parallel with the light he never used which hung over his bed. Looking over at the door, he cared not to tune in to the conversation. Muffled voices.

Calmly, his eyes trickled over to the nightstand which held his guilty pleasure of torment. A moment went by before he sighed.

I'm a failure..

He failed at dying. The one thing in life that couldn't be fulfilled for him, yet seemed to be so easy to obtain for others was haunting him.

What did I do to deserve this?
Did I finally forget to do something?
Am I supposed to do something before I go?

With the sound of a door closing, he threw his glass across the room. The pieces scattering themselves about the room just as the sound of hesitant footsteps made their way to the door. Silence followed.

"Come in."

A few seconds flew by before the door slowly crept open. His eyes crept over to meet hers, yet once again failing in even that due to her bowed head. Henceforth, his eyes returned to the useless lightbulb.

Silence seemed to be the most talkative one in the room besides the daylight. Then, suddenly..

"What do you want?"

"T-the man.. left.."
"I know."
"..H-how?"
"I heard."

More silence followed.

"Who are you?" His eyes trickled over to the girls body, studying her every movement.
"Who do you think I am?"
"You look familiar, but I don't know why.. That guy down there looks familiar too, but I don't know why. I just.. Think I would feel safer if I knew who you were.." She trailed off.

"Do you know who you are?"

Taken aback by his words, she fumbled until she could muster up an answer. "No.."
"Hm." His eyes trailing back over to the useless lightbulb.
"Do you..? Know.. who I am?"

His lips parted as he shut his eyes.

I don't want to remember..

"I do.."
"Then who.. who am I?" With a sigh, he turned away from the girl in frustration.

Please.. Don't make me remember..

"Well.. Can you at least tell me about this guy? I saw a picture of him downstairs and his face just felt the most familiar to me. I think I've seen him in my dreams but I'm not quite sure that its him yet."

Turning over a bit to observe the picture, she immediately pointed out which guy she was talking about.

Hoseok..

As he sighed, she shuffled forward, scraping her feet against a piece of glass. Crying out in pain, he immediately got up to grab a few towels and a bottle of alcohol, not caring of the risk his feet potentially had at getting cut as well. Upon return, the blood had already seemed to seep into his mattress.

"Put this between your teeth. Otherwise, feel free to scream."
"What?"
"Take your pick. This is going to hurt a lot." Immediately, he began to pour the Devils liquid over the girl's open wounds causing her to scream.

"Hoseok!"

He could hear her tears once more. It wasn't a mistake. He could vividly see as her tears were once again pouring down her face for him whilst looking up at him like he's a monster.

Shaking away the thought, he continued to work until every glass piece had been removed.
"I take care of you." he started. "And since you cannot take care of yourself, I have done so in your place instead."
"Why?"
"You have a memory problem."
"No I don't!"
"Then tell me what you did yesterday." She opened her mouth to speak but was immediately interrupted. "Tell me exactly when and how you came to be in this house."

Silence.

"Why do you know me?"
"Some things are better left unsaid. Though, if you knew better, I'd tell you never to ask me that again."
"But why? Why can't you just tell me?:
"People think they want the truth until they get it.." His dark, soulless eyes met hers. "And trust me,.you do not want to know who I am."

"Then tell me who he is." She pointed once again at Hoseok's face in the photo before rubbing her eyes.

Is this it?
Is this what I'm supposed to do before I go?

"If you go to sleep first, then I will tell you in the morning."
"But you said I have a memory problem. If that's true, then how will I know that you're telling the truth?"

"I guess we'll just have to wait and see for tomorrow.." He grinned, causing her to sigh. "I am a man of my word. I promise to tell you about your-." He paused.

Why does it hurt so bad?

"Him.." Getting up, he winced at the pain of glass digging into his skin, but he felt as if he deserved it. "Wrap your arms around my neck." Following his directions, she was carried down the stairs and gently set onto the sofa. His eyes lingering on her for a moment before speaking. "Remember.. Go to sleep."