XXV

The next morning, I couldn't bring myself to get out of bed. Gabi and Carla left me thousand of messages, but I just turned my phone off. I think Giovanni tried to call me a few times, but I ignored him.

It was bad enough I had to deal with the morning sickness, but I was also becoming depressed. I promised Giovanni that I would be there for him everyday, but I was beginning to feel drained from this whole process.

After vomiting into the toilet, I slowly made my way back to bed. I closed my eyes and wished for it all to go away. Giovanni's case, the sadness, and the stress.  I allowed the sleep that I desperately needed to take over and ignored the outside world.

___________________________________

When I awoke again, Giovanni's trial had already begun. It was noon and I was sure the court was in recess for lunch. I rolled over and turned my phone on and was greeted with messages from Gabi, Carla, and Matteo.

I wasn't very surprised by the concern; I hadn't spoken to anyone in almost twenty-four hours. I decided that I would respond after I fed myself. I made my way downstairs to the kitchen, ready to prepare myself something that I could keep down.

I made myself a ham and cheese omelette topped with sour cream. I ate peacefully and slowly, all while trying to keep a clear head. Once I was content with my food intake, I decided to face the family.

I called Gabi because it was hard for her to stay mad at me and I knew she would understand a lot more than Carla.

"Are you okay?" she asked concerned

"I'm fine. I was just sick and needed some sleep. I'm sorry I didn't call."

"You had us worried, but I kinda figured you needed time to yourself."

"Yeah, I'm just exhausted."

"I know."

"Could you tell Carla for me?"

"Of course....he was looking for you."

I closed my eyes and let out a long sigh.

"How is he? How was it today?"

"He looked concerned that you weren't here, but it's not like we could talk to him. And it's going really well."

"That's good. I'll call Matteo."

"Don't worry about it. I'll tell him. Do you want me to pass a message?"

"Just tell him I'm tired."

"Okay...Do you want me to come over later?"

"No, I'm fine. I think I'm going to go back to sleep."

"Oh...okay. Well, let me know if you need anything."

"I will, thanks."

"Bye, Drew."

I hung up the phone and made my way back up to the bedroom. My feet were swollen and I could barely walk without being in pain.

I waddled up the stairs and made my to the bathroom. I ran some warm bath water and stripped down in preparation to soak. After my relaxing bath, I headed back to the bedroom where I rested for the day.

When I awoke again, it was dark out and my phone was vibrating next to me. I quickly answered it, not bothering to look at who was calling.

"Are you okay?" Giovanni asked me

"Yeah, I am now. I was just so tired, but I promise I won't miss another day."

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about."

"What about it?"

"I know this whole thing has been exhausting and with you pregnant and so close to going into labor...I don't want you coming to the trials any more."

"What?"

"I know we said through thick and thin, but I've put you through enough. I'm not taking no as an answer."

"Giovanni-"

"Drew, I could never forgive myself if something happened to the twins because of your devotion to me. I know you're loyal and if you truly want me to see it, I need you to do as I say."

"So you don't want me there?"

"That's not-" he sighed, "Of course I want you there. I love seeing your glowing face, but I can't be selfish anymore. I want you resting."

"But-"

"Please, Drew. It's not about me or us anymore, it's about them."

My shoulders sunk in defeat. He was right; this was the most relaxed I've been in months.

"Okay." I said softly

"I don't want you mad at me."

"I've been mad at you for two months now." I laughed

"I'll be home soon. You can beat me up then."

"I was going to do that anyway."

"Of course you were." he chuckled

"Are you sure about this?"

"Yes, absolutely. I'll call you whenever I can, but stay in bed."

"I'll try."

"Drew..."

"Yes."

"Ti amo."

"I love you too."