XVII

10 Weeks

Carla and Francesco's thirtieth anniversary was hosted at our house. We decided a nice casual, barbecue would be best. Only family and close friends were invited and everyone was screened at the door. Most of the people who were attending were at our wedding, so it wasn't many new faces. I was able to get to know more of Giovanni's family and more importantly, I was able to clear my name since most of these people haven't seen me since my fight at our reception.

The amount of guards at the house doubled, but not just for the occasion. Giovanni increased my security after I told him I was pregnant. He was very overprotective but I thought it was cute, most of the time.

The attire was relaxed, so I wore a long, emerald dress to hide my thick hips and stomach. I wasn't big quite yet, but if you stared long enough you could see my growing belly poking.

"How's the married life?" one of Giovanni's aunts asked me

I could see Giovanni working the room from a distance and I was in awe by his ability to code switch from English to Italian and then back again.

"It's great." I said smiling

"Well, you two seem happy. I'm glad he found someone to settle down with." She smiled

I wasn't paying much attention to anything else she was saying. I was focused on Giovanni, who apart from his brother, was the only one in business attire. There was no one else in the room as he took long strides toward me. Just watching him turned me on and I hated the hormones that were overtaking me in a room with all these people.

"How are you?" he asked concerned

"I'm fine."

"God..." he whispered

"What?" I asked

"You're glowing." he smiled, "So beautiful."

He pulled me closer and pecked my lips. I rubbed my hand up and down his Armani suit and nearly melted.

"You don't know what this suit is doing to me right now." I confessed

"Are you having a moment?" he teased

"Yes," I nodded, "I can't wait till everyone leaves."

"You're insatiable."

"It's not me.." I whined

"It's the babies, I know." he chuckled

"Look at you two lovebirds." Gabi squealed, "Smile!"

She held up a camera and I immediately put my hands down in front of my stomach. I wanted to be sure that my stomach was completely covered from view. I smiled as Giovanni wrapped his arm around my waist in an effort to hide my belly from the lens.

"Thanks for having the party here." she said

"Of course, the place is big enough." I told her

"We're about to do our speeches for mom and dad." she said to Giovanni

"I'm ready." Giovanni told her

Gabi gathered the attention of everyone in the room. We set up a microphone and stereo system so that the three of them could speak. A three tier white cake and vanilla icing with a gold thirty on top was brought out.

Gabi was so excited to speak that she went first with her speech.

"I've caused a lot of trouble in the household-" she began

"Don't we know it." Giorgio shouted out

The crowd laughed as Gabi glared at her eldest brother. Angelo ran over to her and attacked her legs, so she picked him up and held him on her hip.