Holding Back

"What the Hell Maria?!?" Opal burst into Maria's office in a huff. "What's going on?" Maria asked confused at the commotion "Why is Raheim here?" Opal was still shocked. "You told me to hire a new doctor; we needed help, and Raheim applied. Which is something we should all be grateful for; he is one of the most sought after doctors in the world." Maria explained, "I know that but why...ugh" Opal was fighting to get the words out. "What's the problem; he has been doing a great job of helping while you were dealing with the twin's case." Maria didn't need to explain how Opal skirted her duties. If anything Opal was frustrated with herself, how could she let so many things slip by?

"Okay, Raheim is working here. No problem we will be professional" Opal said to herself. "Yeah?" Maria was getting worried. "Raheim is my ex-boyfriend. We didn't have the most amicable break-up." Opal confessed and saw the saucers grow in Maria's eyes. "Raheim is sexy Sheik" Maria laughed "Oh I can see that" she answered herself. "Yes, that's him. The only person to hurt me outside of Brendan" Opal flopped on Maria's comfy chair. "Oh, is this going to be weird?" Maria asked unsure of how to handle this new development "No like I said we will be professional." Opal said with more confidence than she had. "Okay," Maria doubted.

"Your working with that dick" Brendan commented while feeding Zoe her chicken bites. "Yes, Maria hired him while I was dealing with Gladys shit," Opal said, she didn't know what to expect Brendan to say after she told him about Raheim, but she had hoped maybe he would be more moved to fuck her. "How do you feel about this?" He asked although he already decided his stance. "Conflicted, he is a great doctor, but last time we were together, he was so arrogant and elitist. That was years ago; maybe he changed" Opal tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but the truth was she was uneasy with Raheim working with her. She knew that the clinic needed him; all the other applicants she checked were either inexperienced or just too terrible to get into another hospital. "I know this is awkward," Opal said "A little, but I trust you, besides he is probably still a dick" Brendan laughed. Opal was glad to have such an understanding husband; she was just ashamed about how her body reacted to Raheim's presence.

"I don't know how much longer I can keep this up" Brendan confided in Pekelo. "Yeah the Fed has been hanging around for months now," Pekelo complained. They were in the middle of the 10th random drug search orchestrated by Detective Hammel and Gerron. "Not this, although they are becoming a pain in the ass. I mean Opal has on a warpath leading straight to my dick. I mean the skirts, the massages, the fucking thongs." Brendan was losing his mind it has been almost a year since his last fuck and probably even longer for Opal. "Why are you doing this to yourself? Just fuck your wife." Pekelo rolled his eyes at this stupid issue. "I can't, I don't know how to describe it, but I can't in good conscience fuck my uninfected wife. I just can't." Brendan said through gritted teeth. "Fine enjoy your blue balls" Pekelo chucked. "Not funny" Brendan pouted. "Manfred, you got a minute." Detective Gerron stepped into the office, Pekelo shot Brendan a sympathetic look before leaving his office. "What now" Brendan leaned back in his office chair. "Well the search came up inconclusive" The detective shrugged "Bullshit inconclusive, you and I both know there wasn't anything to find" Brendan was tired of the shenanigans. "Easy with the tone son" Detective Hammel filed into the office. "When are we going to stop playing these fucking games? I've been clean for over ten years." Brendan sighed "Yeah well that don't mean shit, I've seen the best break" Hammel spoke "Yeah well, not me. So if gentlemen if we're done here, I have a dinner rush to prepare for" Brendan motioned for the men to leave. Reluctantly the Detectives went. "Lord you're trying me today" Brendan spoke to an empty room.

"Lord you have been trying me" Opal whispered to herself as she sat in the breakroom chair. These last few months have been trying, with Brendan rebuffing her advances and Raheim flirting relentlessly she felt like she was going crazy. It didn't help that work has been a little overwhelming as well, a massive wave of young teens with STD's came in early this morning, a few young women had mistaken her clinic for an abortion clinic, and an older gentleman was showing early signs of dementia. "Damn, I think this is the first time I sat all day," Raheim said waltzing into the breakroom. " Me too," Opal agreed "but it's worth it" Raheim smiled. "Oh?" Opal was still skeptical of this new Raheim; this was not the man she remembered. "Oh?" He quirked an eyebrow "Sorry it's just that this is a significant change from when we were together?" Opal replied. "O, back then I was a young doctor just looking to making money. Now I've seen that side of life, and I want to use my experience to help people." Raheim was more mature than before. "That's great" Opal smiled, it was nice to see this new growth in him.

"You know Opal; I'm man enough to admit that I was an asshole to you when we were together, and I'm sorry. " Raheim was genuine for once. "It's okay; we were young" Opal was proud of herself, she could have called him out for being criticizing and egotistical, but she took the high road. "It's not okay; you just wanted to help people. You have dedicated your life to that cause. Being a doctor meant everything to you, and instead of nurturing that I called you childish. I hurt someone I loved so much because of what? Money? All the money in the world couldn't replace you" Opal was confused by this confession, there wasn't a day in Raheim's life that he wasn't sure of where he was going. At this moment he looked sad, almost regretful. "Raheim, we were kids. Your parents had a high expectation of you. I get it." Opal tried to cheer him up. "Still to this day I fail to reach that expectation, with everything I've done everything I've sacrificed. It wasn't worth it. None of it" Raheim, gave Opal another lustful look and God help her Opal was not immune to this. Raheim leaned into Opal, and for a moment Opal lost herself and kissed him. His soft lips woke a lustful beast, but before the feeling consumed her, she pushed away and left the break room. 'What the Hell did I just do.' Opal thought to herself ashamed.

Brendan day got a lot better after pigs left, The dinner rush was busy, but it wasn't anything he couldn't manage. It was an hour after closing, and most of the staff had left, so he was alone filing time cards. "Hey, Brendan" Julia's voice broke Brendan's attention. "Hey Jules, what's up" Brendan hadn't known that she was staying back. "Nothing just wanted to see you; It's been a while since we talked. With the investigation and the cops hanging around" Julia took a seat on the opposite side of the desk. "Yeah, I'm sorry about all that. Those guys hassling you" Brendan was ready to pounce if they harassed his staff. "No they leave me alone, the white guy flirts but nothing crazy." she smiled at his protective nature. "I just wanted to ask how are you doing?" Julia was interested in how his relationship was going. "It's good, the twins are great. They get into everything but its okay. Opal is doing great" Brendan hoped Julia would take the hint and not push further. "That's great" Julia still held out hope. "Well, if you ever need anything I'm here" Julia bit her lip for full effect. For a shameful moment, Brendan considered the offer. "Oh my God, Oh my God" Opal was freaking out all day after the kiss with Raheim. She was trying to find a way to tell Brendan. She finally decided it was best to hold off the conversation until after the kids went to bed. "The kids are out, at least for the moment" Brendan smiled as he walked over to Opal and gave her a sweet kiss. Opal tried to prolong the separation of their lips. She needed to remember how these lips feel before telling him this terrible thing.

"So Brendan I can't hold this in anymore, and you have every right to yell at me. I kissed Raheim. Well, he kissed me, but I didn't stop him immediately." Opal admitted and was ready for her punishment. She was ready for the yelling, and the i-told-you-so's, but nothing prepared her for the heartbreaking look in Brendan's eyes. "Brendan please say something? I know you must be mad" Opal begged. "I'm disappointed Opal. " Brendan moved away from her.

"I'm sorry" Opal felt a tear roll down her cheek. "How could you? Why?" Brendan started to raise his voice "I don't know" Opal lied "Tell me how you could be such a fucking Hoe" The anger was real now "I don't know, I didn't want it to it just did." Opal lied once more. "Don't Lie to me!" Brendan screamed "FINE, and I wanted to feel something. God, you won't touch me, and I found someone who would. You avoid me like I'm the plague, and well Raheim doesn't" Opal felt terrible with every word she spoke, but she was glad to get the weight off her chest. "So you whore yourself out to whoever?" Brendan scoffed "That's not fair, it was just a kiss. Plus if you would do a damn husbands job and fuck your wife, we wouldn't be here." Opal shifted the blame. "You know why I can't?" Brendan was tired of having to explain this. "Cut the shit; it's bigger than your disease. You and I both know it, but you won't tell me the real reason. " Opal argued, maybe this is what they needed to get over this unreasonable dry spell. Instead of answering Brendan grabbed his coat and stormed out the apartment. Once Brendan slammed the door Opal, fell to the ground and cried her eyes out.

Brendan stormed out his apartment building and greeted the brisk September air with open arms. As heated as he was he needed the cold air; he walked to his car surer than ever of his destination. Once he was settled in the car, he pulled out his phone to text a faithful friend. "Hey I'm coming over" Brendan texted before pulling out the parking lot.