How far I'll go?

Are you ready?” George asked Opal and Brendan. “As ready as I’ll ever be” Replied a nervous Opal, Opal fidgeted with her dress for the umpteenth time, Brendan shot her a comforting smile and her nerves calmed. The group stood outside of a quaint row home nestled in the heart of Brooklyn, while the building itself was unimpressive to a bystander this building housed the top Social Worker in the state. “Do you remember what to do?” George prepared the couple for their dinner. While many would see this as a cheat tactic to win favor, Opal and Brendan where prepared to do anything to keep their family together. “Be Polite, Be Respectful, and don’t bring up the case.” Opal replied with a suggestive wink, speaking of the case was unethical, however there was nothing to say they can’t show the Social worker that they were Good parents. Opal and Brendan were more than prepared to take over that grey area. “Alright, here we go” George knocked on the door, and a short black woman opened the door. “Georgie boy, it’s great to you and I see you bought guests.” The woman gave a quizzical look to Brendan and Opal. “Yes, Judy this is Opal and Brendan” George introduced them. “I know who they are. George you know just as well as I do that it’s unethical to sway me before judgment” Judy replied, while she may have been short Judy was still an imposing figure. With a height at just 4’11, she was a thick curvy woman, with bright blonde hair complementing her chestnut skin tone, and her deep brown eyes that could cut you down.

“Who’s swaying? We are just trying to have a nice dinner?” George played innocent “Uh huh, we’ll talk later. Opal, Brendan it’s a pleasure to meet you” Judy shook their hands and Ushered them into the quaint row home. The house opened onto the living room which was littered with photos of Judy and a variety of children ranging from newborns to teenagers it was clear this woman was experienced. Which blew Opal away, seeing that Judy could be no older than 32. “Would you two like something to drink?” Judy asked, Opal and Brendan broke free from their personal tour and graciously asked for water. “Sure thing” Judy left for the kitchen. “Wow, she sure has done a lot” Opal said, while studying a picture of Judy and two twin boys. “Sure has” Brendan was just as enamored with her career as he looked over her various awards and certificates. “Hey, are you okay?” Brendan asked Opal. “Yeah why do you keep asking me that?” Opal responded irritated at Brendan’s overprotectiveness “I’m just worried, ever since the meeting you have been…different” He commented “Different how?” Opal crossed her arms feeling her defenses rising. Before she could get an answer Judy emerged with their drinks, and informed them that dinner was almost ready. Brendan and Opal planted on their happy faces, and made a silent agreement to discuss this later.

Dinner was going well, the conversations were tame but intriguing, and everything flowed naturally. It wasn’t until desert in the living room that things got heavy. “So Opal, how are the twins?” Judy asked, taking a bite of her Vanilla Ice cream “Great, they have been doing well. They just started sleeping through the night and we feel that they will be crawling any day now” Opal answered with a smile, “That’s great to hear, but are there any troubles, I know children can be a handful?” Judy asked, while to the common man it may seem innocent, Brendan and Opal knew what was really going one. “Well, they’ve been a little fussy when it comes to eating veggies, we have learned to infuse the fruit with the vegetables and get them to eat it that way” Brendan gave his practiced answer. ‘Remember she will want to hear the good and bad, so tell her a problem that you are working on’ Brendan remembered George’s words of wisdom. “Also, we have been interviewing a few Nannies, to start next month since Brendan and I work full time. Not to say we don’t have time for the twins, because we do…” Before Opal could continue her rambling, Brendan gave her knee and squeeze. “I get you girl” Judy smiled at the hopeless Opal.

RING. Judy’s phone rang, and the group looked around confused. “Now who the hell could that be” Judy excused herself and went to answer her phone. “Opal released the breath she didn’t know she was holding. “ Hey you’re doing great” George reassured her. “Thanks” Opal gave a halfhearted smile, and sipped from her glass. “Hey, it’s okay ,if Judy is as good as they say she is, she only needs to talk to you for two seconds to see how amazing of a mother you are” Brendan gave Opals cheek a peck. “Thanks, I can do this, I know I can” Opal, gained control of herself and unlocked her phone to pull up a picture of her reason for doing all of this. The twins. Nothing else mattered, as long as she could have them she would be fine.

“Sorry about that” Judy remerged from the kitchen. “So where were we?” Judy asked. “Umm Judy, if it wouldn’t be too much trouble can I have a glass of Merlot?” Opal asked, she needed something to calm herself and wine was just the thing. Once the wine flowed freely Judy jumped back into questions about the twins, and Brendan and Opal answered flawlessly. The night was drawing to a close when George dropped the bombshell. “So Judy, what do you think of the grandparents?” George asked casually. “Now now, you know we can’t discuss that” Judy giggled “Oh come on just out of curiosity” Opal prodded, this was a chance to see what they were up against. “Well, we got to keep this hushed.” The group nodded egging Judy to go on. “Well, to be honest that old lady is crazy as hell, she is frigid and a little controlling. That old man, is a stoic as they come. However I can tell they loves those kids” Judy replied, not telling the couple anything new. “Yeah, it’s a shame that they breaking up” Judy added, peaking Opal and Brendan’s interest. “Say what?” Brendan leaned up in his chair. “Yeah the two were going to split a while ago, they had the separations papers signed and everything. Once old dude got sick they put that shit on the back burner. Then everything happened with their daughter, and well they been trying to make it work. Now if you ask me, there aint no way that shit going to work” Judy laughed, while Opal’s mind was ticking away.

After a couple more hours of spilling the tea, Opal and Brendan were ready to head home and relieve their babysitter. George offered to give the couple a ride home, but the couple needed to talk and hash out a plan. Once they got home and paid the babysitter, and got ready for bed. “So you know what we have to do now don’t you?” Opal asked while she got undressed. “No, what’s that?’ Brendan answered while, checking his phone. “We have to break them up” Opal replied in matter-of-fact tone . “What?!?” Brendan was shocked to say the least. “Don’t ‘What?!?’ me. This is how we make sure they can’t take the kids. No judge will give custody to an unstable couple, and it isn’t like they weren’t splitting up before” Opal argued. “O, this is going too far. I want the kids just as much as you but we can’t destroy a marriage just to get what we want.” Brendan tried to appeal for better judgement. “Answer me this do you think that if they had this info on us that they wouldn’t use it?” Opal finished undressing, and stared at the pensive man. “I’ll wait” she smirked “No I think they would use it, but you’re not them. You’re you, you don’t do underhanded shit like this. You can’t do this” Brendan commented, “I told you , I am going to do anything to protect my kids. Now I need to know if you are with me or not. Brendan was trying to figure out how far was he willing to go.