Lawyer up.

“So now what?” Opal asked Mr. Bergor, the attorney Brendan hired to take their custody case. George Bergor, resembled an old school biker more than a lawyer, he had a well-kept beard and long handle bar mustache, and had his well detailed tattoo creeping up his neck. George came off as the type of man that wanted to challenge social norms, while many of the tattoo’s Opal could see were very respectful to his Jewish heritage a lot were something you wouldn’t expect to see on a young Hebrew. Things like nails, gravel, and the occasional pinup. “Well, this case is tricky. Like most custody cases are.” George answered “How so, we adopted the children they’re ours?” Brendan argued “Yes, but the grandparents are claiming that they signed their rights away under duress” George sighed “What?!? What the hell does that mean? Did the father put a gun to their head?” Opal was deeply confused as to how these people thought they could win. “No but the Joe was in an emotional state, dealing with his wife’s cancer treatments. The Gladys was undergoing chemo and wasn’t in the right state of mind when they signed away their rights.” George, explained. “Oh my God” Opal took a  look at the file explaining the medical issues and trauma the Gladys and Joe experienced during the time they signed away their rights.

“Be honest with me, what are the odds that I can lose the kids” Opal asked in an empty voice, pleading for honesty. “I can’t say for sure, this case is based on what judge we get. Our focus right now should be on getting them to see you as good parents. Perhaps if you can show them how great of parents you are then they will drop the case. However if they don’t buy it then we have to do something else. Something that will question all your morals.” Opal was already hesitant to fight in court, so she was ready to try to reason with Gladys and Joe before things got ugly. “Let’s try the good parent thing” Brendan added “Good choice, so in order for this to work you have to tell me everything about you two, any dark secrets that you have need to be aired out here before we meet up with them.” George shot Opal and Brendan with an earnest look, daring them to lie. So with a heavy heart Opal and Brendan, told their stories of shame and triumph.

“Well that sucked” Brendan, commented flopping on the couch next to Opal while the twins played in their playpen. “Yeah it wasn’t fun, having to talk about our most shameful experiences, but I think it’s healthy to get it off our chest” Opal, stuck to the bright side. “I guess, I just want this to be over” Brendan ran his hands through his hair. “I know so do I” Opal placed a hand on his knee “There is a way we could get this done quick” Brendan, has not been as understanding of the Gladys and Joe’s predicament. “You’re talking about taking this to court aren’t you?” Opal sighed, wishing Brendan had a little more empathy for others. Although she knew why, years of being abused and ignored can do strange and awful things to man. “If there is a way we can resolve this without going to court, then we should do it. Sure it might mean putting on the good old dog and pony show, but it will be worth it.” Opal argued “Come on Opal you know damn well they won’t let us has the twins unless we fight for them. Those old cunts, just will never let them go” Brendan shot back “Brendan, the twins may be the last thing they have to connect them to their daughter. If we can find a way to keep the kids in their lives then it will only benefit them as well as us. We get the kids, and the children get their grandparents.” Opal tried to inject reason into this conversation. “Fine, we’ll give it a try” Brendan agreed reluctantly.

“I got a good feeling about this” Opal said, sitting at the conference table at the adoption center. Opal was dressed in her most conservative outfit, she wore a beige knee length turtle neck dress with modest black kitten heels. Brendan had clean shaven face, and a white button up and slacks. Opal knew he was miserable, but appreciated the effort he made in putting on a good face. “Yeah, I guess” Brendan replied to Opals optimism. “Smile Honey, this place has memories, and I’m just getting a really good feeling from place” Opal smiled, tucking her straightened hair behind her ear. While Opal missed her curls she wanted to make a good impression on the grandparents. She knew that if these old people where anything like her mother, they preferred straightened hair to her natural mane. Opal knew Brendan missed her hair to, she constantly saw him reaching out to instinctively play with a curl. “Okay here they come” George said, entering the room a few seconds before Gladys, Joe and their legal team. Not for the first time today, Brendan felt the threat that Opal was simply trying to ignore. He looked over at Opal and saw her bright smile falter. Brendan knew she just wanted to keep everyone happy, because that who she is, she wants to heal the world and bring joy to strangers. Opal is a believer in fairy tales and happy endings, and while he loves her, he wishes she would wake up.

“Okay let’s begin” George said, to the three lawyers Gladys had on retainer for some reason. “Yes, my clients are asking for full custody of both Adam and Zoe Mason.” The female lawyer passed something a file to George explaining the details of the custody agreement. “Well as I stated before the adoptions has been completed and the parents of Adam and Zoe, are Opal and Brendan. However talking it over with my clients we have agreed to have an open adoption with Mr. and Mrs. Mason.” George replied professional as ever. Opal smiled at the elderly couple but was only greeted with sneers, the response was so unnerving that she flinched. “No” Gladys, spoke up while Joe nodded along. “well as my client said, they have no desire to share custody with your clients. So let’s get down to business” the short male lawyer spoke next. “Wait, tell me why you are being so unreasonable?” Opal defended, gone was the sweet girl and out was the lioness ready to protect her cubs. “Don’t talk to me about unreasonable, you are trying to take away the last piece of daughter!!” shouted, while her lawyers tried to calm her. “I am ready to share, there is no reason we can both be in the twins life” Opal stood, infuriated by the old woman’s stubborn stance. “Share my grandchildren, with a psycho and a junkie!! It’s bad enough I let my daughter marry one, and look at the trouble he has caused.” Gladys, words made Opals blood run cold. “Do you expect me to give my grandchildren, to a woman who has spent almost a year in Rehab, or to a junkie who could switch at any minute?” Gladys kept going “Gladys stop” Joe held his wife’s hand while shooting sympathetic looks to Brendan and Opal. “Okay, I call for a five minute recess” George, said while the lawyers nodded.

“Did you know?” Opal asked Brendan after everyone left the room. “Yes” Brendan replied “Why didn’t you tell me?” she was at the special level of anger where it could be mistaken for calm. “I didn’t think it mattered till today. I should have known that would happen” Brendan cursed his bad luck. “Re we calmer now” George reentered the room, “Yes, So what now?” this time Brendan asked the million dollar question “Well now we have a choice, keep trying to negotiate peace or we fight” George, gave Brendan and Opal a choice. “Let’s get ready to rumble” Opal said, letting the lioness roam free.