Interview

Opal

Today was the big day, this was the day Brendan and I go to the adoption agency and get interviewed, never in my life have I been so terrified and happy at the same time. I looked at myself in the mirror and hoped my outfit would send the message that I was a capable parent. I wore a long sleeve tight knee length salmon dress. I had paired it with beige pumps and a modest amount of makeup and jewelry. I walked out of my bedroom and saw Brendan drinking a bottle of water sitting at my kitchen counter. "You look great" he looked me up and down and I bush back my need to blush "But does what I'm wearing scream, give me a baby?" i asked nervous "I don't know about that, but it does scream MILF" he smiled "Haha, I'm serious today is huge" I laughed sarcastically "Relax Opal, any child would be lucky to have you as their mother" he said, and I felt that a warmth envelop my body, ever since our paper wedding it was getting harder to hide my attraction to Brendan. "Is that what you're wearing" I said judging his light denim jeans and his jam colored gordon ramsey shirt, where a poor chef is being belittled by the celebrity. "Yeah, I love this shirt" he shrugged " You're supposed to look like a dad, not a teenager" I said although I did admire the way his ass looked in those jeans and that top was doing sinful things to his abs and my libido. "Yeah well what kid doesn't like Gordon" he smiled "We're not meeting kids were meeting the interviewer to help me get a kid, So do you remember what you're supposed to do?" I asked grabbing a Nutrigrain bar from the cabinet.

"I know I have to behave," he rolled his eyes "And you have to make sure to tell them how I great we are, let them know how we responsible we are, and tell them that were kind" I started rambling "Opal everything will be okay I promise" he held me close to him and my heart skipped a beat, I started to calm to down and we made our way to the most terrifying interview of my life.

Brendan

She looked incredible, ever since the day of our "Wedding" I haven't been able to get my mind off of her. I watched her fiddle with her hands, as we rode in the cab thinking it was clear she was freaking out. Opal always had a away of overthinking things and getting worried over every thing, so I grabbed her hand and she shot me a shy smile. 'It's going to be okay, I promise" I saw the anxiety melt away from her features as she took deep breathes. "Were here" she looked at the large building and I saw her gulp, I really hoped everything would be okay.

"Okay so let's go over the questions again" Opal said pacing the waiting room for our interview "Opal we have dones this over and over, besides I know you any question they ask I can answer trust me" I sighed "I know that but just to be safe did you look at the flashcards or the fun powerpoint I made you" she said still pacing, Opal had a thing for over preparing when something was big to her, seeing that she made me both cards and powerpoint meant that this was huge, not that i ever doubted it. "Look we will be fine I swear" I dodged the question , If I admitted that i didn't read it she would kill me. "She's ready for you" an assistant came to retrieve us it was now or never.

Opal

Brendan and I were sitting across from the woman who held my hopes and dreams in her hands, this is the last adoption agency in New york this was my last shot. It didn't help that the interviewer looked like such a tight ass, she was a plump hispanic woman with a tight top bun and a black and white pant suit, she had the ultimate resting bitch face with a skinny nose pursed lips and squinting eyes. " So Opal Brendan tell me about yourselves?" she asked and I swallowed my fear and opened my mouth to sell myself. "Well I'm a doctor at the free clinic downtown and Brendan is the head chef at his restaurant Lapo's" I gestured to Brendan who was looking as laid back as possible, I could have hit for not reading the cards. Sure we knew each other for forever but that doesn't mean he remembers everything what if he can't answer a question and we get screwed. "Yeah my beautiful Opal here has worked at the Open hearts for 6 years she has been the hero of New York" he winked at me and I was impressed but we still had a long way to go. "Yes and Brendan had just opened up his third restaurant in Philadelphia. Needless to say I am very proud of him" I reached over to squeeze his hand and he squeezed back. "I can see that" she smirked, although her expressions were hard to read I just hoped that she felt my sincerity.

We were doing well I Brendan was answering the questions and being perfectly charming. Hell, it didn't even feel like an interview it was just a pleasant conversation between friends, even miss bitch face soften up.

"How did you guys meet?" Mrs. Betty, our interviewer asked, I was ready to tell her about how we met at elementary school in Ms. Birdies homeroom class. " I was 8 years old and I was at a playground in Harlem, my mom and dad were....working so I was there alone ,like so many other Harlem children. Anyway I was hanging upside down on the monkey bars and I fell head first, everything went dark but when I came to I saw an angel with long pigtails held down by yellow and orange barrettes. She was holding a Barbie purse filled with band aids and alcohol wipes. She was yelling for me to breath ignoring the fact that I was clearly conscious, she patched me up and stayed with me till the street lights came on. That angel became my world" I heard Brendan tell Mrs. Betty and for a moment I could have truly believed that he loved me.

Brendan

Relaying the story of how we met drug up some feelings I felt were better left alone. "Excuse me I have to go to the bathroom" said a teary Betty as she left the room. "Wow, you remembered that" Opal broke the silence, and everything I said came crashing down. "Yeah, sounded good right now you will definitely get your kid." I tried to cover up how honest I was in that moment. "Oh so that's why you called me an angel" I heard the sadness in her voice and instantly regretted pretending like it was nothing. "Well, thank you for that I think she bought it" she cleared her throat. "I'm shocked you remembered I was ready to tell her about when we met in elementary school." she confessed playing with her hands again, I knew her nerves were getting the best of her. " Relax Opal we got this" I squeezed her shoulder. "Yeah, Thank you for doing this with me" she smiled at me and I couldn't stop my heart from beating out of control.