House Visit

Opal

I was running around like a mad man, I was fixing things that I had cleaned three times already. I was checking on Brendan who was in the middle of cooking Brunch for our first home visit. "Woman, sit down" he commanded and for the first time today I compiled and took a seat at the kitchen table. "Sorry it's just a really big day" I reminded him, although Im sure he didn't need it. When I moved in a month ago I had gone completely mother crazy, I baby proofed everything and made sure to keep all children friendly appearances in the apartment. Which was a Hell of task, Brendan's house practically screamed bachelor pad with his well stocked bar to the less than appropriate art hung everywhere. On a normal day I wouldn't have minded in fact I loved seeing the art I helped him buy from various galleries, but if we were going to get this child we need to play the role of a nice family. "Here taste this" Brendan held a small spinach quiche for me to try. "Oh my God thats good" I moaned "I know" he smirked, Brendan wasn't your typically cocky but he made exceptions when it came to his food. "Hopefully she'll like them" I sighed still on edge about this dinner, although if I'm perfectly honest this dinner isn't the only thing that got me riled up. Ever since our interview I haven't been able to shake the things Brendan said, no matter what i did I found myself wondering if he could feel something for me. "Relax there isn't a man alive that can deny my cooking' He laughed, a rich throaty laugh that made my heart skip a beat. 'Shake it off Opal, you've been down this road before and it only ends in heartbreak' I thought to myself recalling the last time I let my feelings get the best of me.

Brendan

Ding Dong. the doorbell rang and I watched Opal sprint to the door, with her curls bouncing all the way. I tried to ignore my feelings for her, but everyday I found myself falling harder, it didn't help that she was constantly in yoga pants and tight t shirts either. "Brendan Mrs.Betty is here" Opal announced ushering Mrs. Betty into the kitchen. "Oh something smells good" she sniffed the air, I smiled at her compliment, I know most chefs get tired of hearing from there customers, but I will never tire of hearing a compliment. "It's almost ready" I announced going back to fixing the plates. "Would you like a tour?" Opal asked, I could tell she was nervous by how high pitched her voice was. I started to set the table, while listening to Opal go on about how safe every room in the house was, I was grateful that there was finally someone else around to listen to her. "Brunch is served" I announced interrupting the tour, I pulled out chairs for Opal and Mrs. Betty and took my seat beside Opal. I gave her hand a supportive squeeze and watched her smile back at me, 'God that smile, I would walk on fire for this woman' I thought to myself, I hoped that I could get through this with our friendship intact the last thing I want is to lose her.

Opal

Brunch was amazing, Brendan was a cooking God Mrs. Betty and I fawned over how great everything tasted. Now seated in the living room , we were preparing for her review I knew that I got the house perfect for the baby but was nervous as to what she would say. "Well Mr. And Mrs. Manfred the place looks perfect for a family. I smiled so wide I felt like I would burst with joy "I'm so happy you said that, so whats the next step?" I asked not wanting to wait much longer "Well, thats what I wanted to talk to you about" she replied, i felt my heart sink if it weren't for Brendan comforting hand on my shoulders I think I would have cried. I had been rejected so often I feared that it was happening again. "What is it?" Brendan answered for me. "Well on your application you asked for a son" she began "Yes but, were flexible on the gender" I replied, if I had to have a daughter then so be it I just wanted a child. "Well thats great to hear, are you flexible on the amount" she smiled nervously "Huh?" I was confused "The thing is we have a rare case on our hands. You see we 3 month boy and girl twins that had just recently been put up for adoption. The mother died from cancer and the father couldn't handle the stress of raising children so he put them up." She explained, and I felt tears prick my eyes I couldn't imagine the hardship of losing your wife so suddenly and having to raise children on your own. "We would like to keep them together if we can, but it's up to you we can fit you with another child." She pulled out a photograph of two sweet infants with dark chocolate skin holding one another as they were wrapped in matching hospital blankets. "We'll take them" I smiled at the photos and passed them off to Brendan, he was just as moved as I was. I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed that he wasn't going to be the father we were pretending he'd be. Although with the way he looked at those pictures told a different story. "Thats great, then I would like to schedule your first meeting with them for Thursday at 2pm " She announced logging it into her calendar. I could hardly believe my luck, I was going to be blessed with two little miracles. We finished our meeting with Mrs. Betty she explained how we would be given time to meet the kids and how we would be watched for how we interact. i wish I could say I was present but I was already decorating their bedroom and buying them outfits and toys in my mind before I knew it Mrs. Betty was gone.

Brendan

Twins, TWINS!!! i screamed over and over in my head. It was one thing to care for one but two was another story. 'Wait what am I worried about they wont be mine' That thought should have bought me joy yet I felt a tang of disappointment. "Twins" i sighed "Yeah just one more child to love, I guess that means I have to get a bigger place" She smiled, she couldn't have been happier to hear the news of getting two children. "You ready for that?" I asked, already knowing it was a yes, I knew she wanted to be a mother more than anything. "Well its an adjustment, but you heard her they have no one and somebody else might not be kind enough to take two children. Hell even as I say it I don't know how I will get the finances together for them both. Yet I know i'll find a way" She explained, for a moment I considered telling her that she wouldn't need to do this alone but thought better of it, it would be cruel to make a promise I wasn't sure I could keep. "Tell. me you are coming with me to meet them?" she asked, it was clear she didn't want to be alone, and although i knew the best thing for me to do was separate myself from the situation before I get in too deep. For some reason I just ended up nodding, this was bad before but now it was turning disastrous I can't be with her, I know that, and yet here I am getting suck deeper into this family lie.

Opal

Thursday came way too slow, and two o clock was dragging on, i looked at my clock for the third time it was already 1:50 and Brendan still wasn't here. I tapped my foot against the linoleum tile in the Agency waiting room and wondered if he changed his mind. I couldn't blame him if he did after all I only asked for him to play husband for the sake of the adoption, asking him to play father was another thing. Although I knew Brendan owed me nothing, I still wanted him beside me every step of the way, he may not be my real husband but he was still my best friend. "Sorry I'm late" Brendan rushed through the door. "Finally where have you been?" I said scowling "I was out getting these" it was then that I noticed two gift bags in his hand one in blue labeling baby boy and another in pink saying baby girl. "I wanted to get them something, but I knew they were too young for toys. So I got these" Ice pulled out an assortment of onesies ranging from tiny 3 month to 6 months to big 9-12 months. " One of my chefs said they grow quick so I got a bunch" he scratched his head anxiously, I felt a lump form in my throat, never more than, in that moment did I want to kiss him. "You hate it?" he sighed, "No I love it, and so will they. Well they won't really care but I love it" I assured him, and took his hands. He gave me the biggest smile and I felt my heart melt. "Come on lets go meet them" I began to pull. him towards the nursery that we had reserved for us. "Yeah" He said after taking a deep breath.

Brendan

"She's so small" I said to myself holding little Zoe she was looking at the lights in the room more than she was looking at me. Although I didn't have her attention she had all of mine, she was a small chocolate drop with big brown eyes and a huge smile, she had a full head of curly hair and a button nose. She was the cutest little thing I have ever seen, she could pass as Opal's biological daughter as well as her brother Adam. "Adam look at me" Opal was still trying to get Adam's attention but he was clearly more interested in the ceiling. "Adam, what you looking at you silly boy" Opal said nuzzling his cheeks, she was a natural with him he smiled at her and she smiled back at him it was as if he knew who she would be to him. "Ahh" Zoe cooed, clearly she wasn't okay with being ignored, I looked at the small angel in my arms and felt my heart melt. 'What am I doing? i know this can't be anything and yet here I am wishing that this was all real' I thought looking at my pretend daughter, who shot me the cutest smile. I kissed her forehead and dismissed the idea of this being anything but a phase.