Chapter 16 : Modern Day Life Lesson Fifteen

Start from the beginning

Emilia laughed a little bit and turned to Subaru. "How come you're up so early today?" Emilia asked as she helped set the table. He scratched his face and laughed awkwardly. "Ehehe, I don't really know... for some reason I just woke up... My mom always say that it's a sign of becoming an old man..." Subaru said, laughing, and Emilia giggled as well. "I'm guessing that Subaru's just overflowing with energy again." She said, covering her mouth and laughing out loud. A few moments later, the rest of the girls came to the table and sat down.

As they ate, Rem remembered something that she'd heard at school which she was slightly confused about. "Ne Subaru-kun," Rem said, and Subaru 'umed' and looked up at her, his mouth stuffed with eggs and bread. "Rem heard Shiori-san saying something called the cultural festival. She tells us that this event will be taking place soon in the school. But Rem isn't quite sure about what it is about." Rem said. Subaru stared at her for about ten seconds, gulped down his mouthful of eggs, and punched himself across the face.

"EHH?!?! Subaru-kun?!?!" Rem exclaimed as Subaru's face swell up instantly. "I'M SO SORRY!!!! I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THE CULTURAL FESTIVAL AND THE OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS THAT YOU SHOULD KNOW!!!" He shouted and clapped his hands over his head in apology. "I've focused too much on the school systems and neglected those events!!" Subaru shouted again. The girls looked slightly confusedly at him while Subaru's glance traveled to the clock hanging on the wall. "Oh damn, it's about time. We should probably leave. I'll tell you about the cultural festival on our way there." Subaru said, and the other nodded. A few minutes later, they left the department and set off for school.

"Oh, before I start telling you about the cultural festival, there's something I need to say first. Remember that I said we're going to the restaurant Matsushita sensei recommended to us? We're going there tomorrow since it's closed on Mondays and I have work to do tonight, so maybe we can have dinner at Ossan's??" Subaru said. He worked every Monday, Thursday, and Sunday at the noddle shop, which was owned by the benevolent old man who always listened to his problems and offered advice that Subaru found helpful, in the gourmet street. "Oh, no problem, let's go tomorrow then." Emilia said, nodding. "And we can have ramen for dinner today." Rem said happily, thinking that she could have more meals made by Subaru.

"Alright, now, cultural festival. This event is like a school fair, and on this one or two days, yeah the cultural festival sometimes could last for two days depending on the school and the Student Association's decision." Subaru said as he saw the girls' eyes widened when they heard that this seemingly joyful event could last two days.

"During the event, every class will have to come up with a theme. For example, the most frequently done ones are maid's cafes, haunted houses, and, uh, oh, art work exhibitions. Apart from those, there'd be some other more innovative themes. What's more, there might be contests such as the beauty contest, which I think you girls have high chances of winning, and singing contest. These are individual contest, which you enter individually, and then the other ones are entered as a class. Every class, beside from the theme of their classroom, will need to come up with a performance, like drama, dance, concert, or standup comedy." Subaru finished, and the girls' eyes were even wider and twinkling with excitement.

"Asai-san's your class leader and a member of the Student Association, right? If she's starts to talk about it, I can almost be certain that the cultural festival will happen within a few weeks. She'll probably start a vote on the classroom theme during your class meeting today." Subaru said, counting down his fingers as if he was doing some calculation. "Really????" Rem asked, jumping up and down slightly in excitement. "Yeah, according to past experiences, it should be about time." Subaru said, giving her a reassuring smile.

"Oh, I forgot one part!" Subaru suddenly said after about three minutes of silence. "What is it?" Asked Emilia eagerly. "There's probably gonna be dancing as the last part of the cultural festival, and we gotta dance in pairs." Subaru said, and for some reason, his mind seemed quite absent, judging by a rather amusing and blank look on his face. "You mean... we need to find dance partners??" Emilia exclaimed as the tip of her ears grew slightly red.