Chapter Forty Two

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, I don't think that's going to happen with us, Lou." Liam points out, bopping his nose playfully.

Louis opens his mouth to speak again but he stops suddenly when he hears the sound of clattering coming from downstairs in the kitchen. He pauses for a moment and hears it again and then he turns his attention back to Liam.

"Did you hear that?" He frowns.

"Don't ask me," Liam scoffs, "You're the one with the brilliant hearing."

Louis rolls his eyes.

"Stay here." He sighs, removing himself from the bed and padding bear foot down to the kitchen.

He's as silent as a mouse as he approaches the kitchen, his eyes dark and his fangs bared, ready to attack the intruder. The only light in the kitchen to be seen was from the inside of the fridge and when the floor boards creek accidentally, the fridge door is swung wide and Niall is standing before him, holding a jar of Nutella in his hands.

"Jesus Christ!" Niall exclaims, holding onto the door of the fridge.

Louis lets out a massive breath, exhaling deeply as he drops his hand and stares at Niall in disbelief, just as his spoon drops to the floor.

"What the fuck, Niall?" Louis asks exasperatingly, massaging his forehead.

"I'm sorry, Louis but I got hungry and wanted some food also it got pretty hot in the bed and I needed some air." Niall confesses, causing Louis to raise his eyebrows.

"And the fridge was the best way to go?" Louis teases, automatically.

Niall ignores him, rolling his eyes as he bends down to pick up the spoon he dropped but he struggles a little. He groans and strains, whimpering a little but Louis sighs and bends down for him, picking up the spoon and handing it to him. Niall quietly thanks him and walks over to the sink to wash it. Louis follows him and notices the half eaten packet of salt and vinegar crisps on the counter next to them.

"You know Harry is such a light sleeper, he's gonna notice you're not there." Louis mumbles thoughtfully, resting himself against the counter.

"Which is exactly why I'm taking a midnight snack up with me." Niall replies cheekily, popping a spoonful of Nutella in his mouth.

He's about to head up the stairs with his little snack when he catches Louis heading towards the sink, pouring a glass of water. He stands back for a moment, watching him curiously.

"Thirsty?" Niall wonders and Louis turns back to him.

"No, it's for Liam." Louis replies casually.

Niall blinks once, twice three times and his face lights up a little and he can't help but feel a little surprised whereas Louis is frowning in confusion.

"Something wrong?" He asks.

"No, I – I'm just really happy for you." He replies, delightfully and honestly before heading back up the stairs.

Louis pauses for a second, staring in bewilderment after his friend before he takes the glass upstairs to his room, where Liam was waiting patiently for his return and he thanked him for his glass of water.

"Everything okay?" He asks, just as Louis slides into bed next to him.

"Everything's fine, just Niall getting a midnight snack. Boy couldn't even pick up a spoon, he's getting that big." Louis grunts back, switching off the light.

Liam chuckles, shaking his head in disbelief.

"And now you see why I'm worried about him." Liam points proudly.