Chapter Forty Four

Please follow!

__________________

Niall stares wistfully out onto the woods, cradling his bump with his hand and the sound of a car reversing from the driveway, the tires scraping against the pebbles on the ground, indicated that Gemma was heading out, leaving him alone. This was the most alone he'd felt in a while and it was all due to the fact that Harry wasn't here. Sure, he had Liam and Gemma and The Dalca looking after him but it wasn't the same. They weren't Harry and he missed him dearly. He even thought about calling for Harry and asking for him to come home, countless of times actually, but he knew he couldn't do that. It was selfish of him. So, it's with that, that he decides to call someone else. He wets his lips nervously and dials the familiar number and with a shaking hand, he pressed his phone to his ear.

"Hey, chief."

The familiar Irish accent causes a smile to spread across Niall's face and, quite frankly, it's the first time he's smiled since Harry left.

"Hey, Bres."

"Hey, Niall. How are you?"

"I'm good. I'm good."

He would've sound convincing if he didn't have tears running down his cheeks at that precise moment and to be honest, he was embarrassed by it. He didn't know why he was crying. It was only Bressie he was calling after all. Actually, he did know why he was crying. It was these stupid hormones that he couldn't control. He was an emotional wreck and he sniffles a little, trying to compose himself.

"Ni?" The sound of concern was clear in Bressie's voice.

"I'm good, it's just these damn hormones. I'm just really happy to hear your voice, that's all." Niall admits, with a shaky laugh.

"I'm always a call away, you know that, Niall."

"I know, I know," Niall says impatiently, "I've just been busy with Harry and all -"

Niall stops dead at the mention of Harry and gulps.

"Is everything okay between you and him?" Bressie presses.

"Yeah, everything is great. It's just – he's away to Amsterdam for the week with Louis. It's just...I miss him, is all." Niall mumbles.

"It's okay to miss your husband, mate." Bressie laughs and Niall scoffs, shaking his head in disbelief as he presses the bridge of his nose with his fingers.

"Yeah," Niall sighs, "But I miss you, too."

There's a short pause, caused by some grunting and heaving breathing and something metal falling to the floor.

"Bres? You all right?" Niall frowns, lifting his head up.

"Yeah, buddy. Just at the gym. Look, I miss you too and all, but it's a lil bit busy at the studio just now, mate. Dunno about taking time off." He breathes and Niall falls quiet, biting his lower lip.

"Yeah, it's okay. Don't worry about it, I understand." Niall assures him, but feels a little disappointed.

Bressie exhales deeply at the other end of the line, "I'll, um...I'll see what I can do. All right?" He offers and now, Niall is grinning as they bid goodbye.

- - -

Sure enough, a few days later while Niall is watching TV and Gemma is making lunch in the kitchen, he hears a knock on the door. Feeling a little excited, he sets the remote down (which was balanced on his belly) on the coffee table and quickly goes to answer it, as Gemma hadn't heard. As he opens it, Bressie is standing before him with a welcoming smile on his face and Niall is brought into a massive bear hug.