Chapter Seventeen

Niall woke up the next morning with Harry sound asleep next to him. He never understood why Harry still sleeps even when he doesn't need it. Vampires run on so much energy and they rarely get tired. Which – come to think of it – would come in very handy when their baby was born. Niall's left hand is cupping the tiny bump under the covers, which he found himself doing a lot. After his little encounter with Mr Collins he seemed quite protective which took him by surprise, as he didn't even want to have it in the first place. His right hand is scratching Harry's back soothingly and at the thought of Mr Collins, the pace began slow against Harry's warm skin.

"Why did you stop?"

Harry's sleepy, groggy voice startled Niall a little as Harry's back was turned to him and he didn't realize he was awake. Niall sighs and rolls over on his side, pulling Harry's back close to chest as he kisses the side of his face multiple times. That's when he stops, an uneasy feeling rising in the pit of his stomach and Harry frowns at Niall's face turning a shade of green before he dashes to the bathroom, followed by horrible retching sounds. 

"Niall?" Harry calls. 

He tosses the covers aside and pulls his feet out the bed, sauntering over to the bathroom. Niall is crouched over the toilet, his head in his hands with his elbows rested on the toilet pan as he waits for it to end. Harry gazes sympathetically at his fiancé while he leans against the door frame, arms and ankles crossed over each other. Niall finally flushes the toilet and rinses his mouth and he tries to brush past Harry watching in the door way but Harry grabs at his hand, swinging him back with such force that their bodies meet and Niall's lips are slammed against his. Niall pulls away after a bitter sweet kiss, clinging tightly onto Harry with their torsos pressed against each other. 

"I'm okay." Niall assures him.

"I know you are." Harry smiles back, using his index finger to gently stroke Niall's jaw line.

They stare into each others eyes for a moment, admiring each other when Harry speaks again.

"I'm going to take you out on a date." He announces suddenly, taking Niall by surprise. 

"What?" He chortles.

"Come on, it'll be fun. I mean, when was the last time you and I went out properly, just us two and had fun ourselves?" He asks cheekily and Niall sighs.

"I wouldn't know. That part of my memory has been erased." He reminds him.

"Really? Are you really going to bring that up every time?" Harry teases.

"For as long as we both shall live." Niall mocks playfully.

"Unfortunately for me, that is a very long time." 

There's a nagging thought at the back of Niall's mind at the mention of Harry's eternity but he brushed it off as if it were nothing and followed Harry out the room. Harry really was being serious when he said he was taking Niall out on a proper date. They dined at an infamous Italian restaurant in the centre of Manhattan (Harry had even compelled the manager for private dining, as Niall was beginning to show and he felt insecure around other people now. It was one of the very few advantages of compulsion for them.)

When they arrived at the restaurant, the waiter had pulled out their chairs for them and poured their drinks and ordered their meals and eventually, Harry and Niall are left alone and they clink their glasses to celebrate – non alcoholic of course, for both of them. 

"Cheers," Harry grins, before taking a sip. 

"You could have had a drink at least." Niall offers but Harry shakes his head.