Chapter Thirty Seven

The days between Christmas and New Year dragged by. Harry and Niall didn't have much planned but had the company of Bressie and the occasional visits from Carmen and Luca, who often checked up on him. Niall was ecstatic though, to find out that he had a visit from Liam one of those days. It had been so long since he saw him, before his honeymoon in fact and it was good to see him. So much so that when he answered the door, he almost jumped into his arms and hugged him close. They managed to catch up. On anything and everything. Liam had explained that he had been busy working in his dads office and hadn't had the time to visit up until now but Niall couldn't help wondering if there was something else. Niall knew that Liam has sort of freaked out last time they spoke, over Niall being pregnant and he was allowed to feel that way. It wasn't exactly normal what Niall was going through. Liam could take all the time he needed. Niall is sitting with his legs up on the sofa, facing Liam with his cup of tea perched on his lap and Liam is facing him back, in the same position.

"Do you ever wonder what our lives would be like if none of this happened?" Liam asks curiously and Niall's eyebrows furrow together.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, before all of this. When we were back at high school, your dad was still here and you hadn't even met Harry. Do ever think about that?" Liam wonders and Niall lets out a content sigh, taking a moment to sip his tea before answering.

"I think it would have been very different." Niall admits and Liam grins.

"You do?"

Niall nods.

"I don't think I'd still be in New York, that's for sure. I reckon I would have moved back Mullingar. Got a job with my dad, even if he did abuse the shit out of me." Niall shrugs his shoulders carelessly and Liam winces at the thought.

"I reckon you would have ended up with Bressie." He adds playfully and Niall giggles, shaking his head in disbelief.

"You said it, not me." Niall replies, taking a sip of tea again, knowing fine well that Harry and Louis were probably listening into their conversation right now. Hence why he didn't say much to Liam's response.

There was some loud noise upstairs; some clattering of furniture and the sound of it being scraped across the floorboards. Niall gazes anxiously toward the sound and then flashes Liam a hesitant smile, who's giving him a questionable look.

"What's going on up there?" He asks curiously.

"Faye's here. She thought it'd be better for me to have my usual appointments here rather than my hospital, for the sake of discretion. So Harry, Louis, Carmen and Luca have decided to help her turn one of the guest rooms into some sort of delivery room for the foreseeable future." Niall explains simply and Liam nods his head slowly.

"I see." He answers, taking a sip of his tea.

"Makes sense, doesn't it? Means Harry doesn't have to keep driving me there and Faye wants to keep a close eye on me anyway." She shrugs and Liam nods again in agreement.

"Yeah, it makes sense."

There's a short pause.

"And Bressie...Bressie's okay with this? With being here." He asks hesitantly and Niall sighs.

"Bressie doesn't have any feelings for me any more. Louis took care of that."

"Louis took care of what?"

Niall looks up at the sound of the familiar voice and sees Bressie sauntering down the stairs, wearing a black top and jeans with a pair of glasses perched up on his nose. His bruises are slightly faded and there's a cut on his bottom lip but Bressie doesn't seem to complain about it much. According to him, he got to drunk at a Christmas night out and ended up in a bar fight – thanks to Louis.