Chapter Three

Niall stares at the Bruce Springsteen CD in awe. His heart is hammering against his chest and his palms are sweating as he holds his engagement ring in his hands. He's alone, in his bedroom and sitting on his bed. It's the weekend of his birthday and he'd just received the gift – including the birthday card, with the signature 'All my love, H' on it. It's the same signature that's engraved on his engagement ring. The person who sent him it was obviously trying to send him a message and quite frankly, it was hurting Niall's brain as he tried so very hard to figure out. The door to his bedroom suddenly swings open and Liam stands in the door way. Their eyes meet briefly and Liam takes in the scene but chooses to disregard it. 

"You ready to go?" Liam asks uncertainly. Although judging by the way he found his best friend, he was not ready to go at all.

"I received this. It's the same person again. It has to be." Niall says, almost desperately as he thrusts the CD and card into Liam's hands, along with the ring. 

It was only a couple of days ago that Niall had phoned up Liam to tell him what was troubling his mind. They had sat in Niall's bedroom while he explained to Liam everything. He explained how he had woken up one day, with no recollection of having the ring at all.  At first, Liam thought he was crazy until he showed him the ring as proof, as evidence that he wasn't – and he even showed him the engraved lettering for good measure. But Liam was just as clueless as he was. He had no idea as to whom could have sent the ring and it annoyed and irritated Niall even more, that his friend was just as helpless as him. 

"Hey, you love Bruce Springsteen." Liam says happily and Niall gives him a look in respond that says "D'uh!"

"Oh." Liam realises and he sighs, sitting himself down on the edge of Niall's bed. "I think..." Liam starts, "I think you should forget about that just now. I think you should go out and have a good time." He manages and Niall smiles weakly, nudging his best friends shoulder playfully.

"A'right. You've convinced me." Niall giggles and Liam laughs, guiding Niall out of the room so they could head down to the pub for the evening. 

- - -

After another argument with Louis, Harry finds himself packing his bags the next day. He promised himself the next place he would visit would be to see his family and that's where he was going to go. He couldn't stand another minute here. He's furious with Louis. After everything they'd been through together, he's gutted that he ends up finding out that Louis betrayed him. He betrayed his trust. How could he be so selfish?

He didn't even say goodbye to Louis when he left. Maybe he was being a bit harsh and all but he couldn't face him. He used his private jet and left in the first moment he could. He was desperate. That, he'll admit. He was desperate to see his family. But who could blame him? He hadn't seen his mother and sister in three whole years, despite the endless phone calls from his stubborn sister. The thought of seeing his family again gave him some kind of familiar sense of warmth. It wasn't the same warmth he had with – he had with him but it was close to it. 

It was close to home, at least. 

When Harry finally arrives home, it's sun set. The sky is changing colour to a beautiful, soft orange with a pink glow. He's missed it, he's not going to lie. He's missed home. He's missed hearing Gemma's stories, he's missed his mothers cuddles and he's even missed the cat. As he approaches the front door, the curtain to the window of the living room flickers and a small smile stretches across Harry's face as he knocks on the door. It only takes a moment for Gemma to appear before him and she's beaming at him. She's crying as she envelopes him into a giant, friendly hug and seconds later, she's pulling him by the wrist, dragging him inside.