Chapter Twenty-Six: Camilla's Back

It had been three weeks into school starting already, but Camilla Anderson had still been a no show. Other than at Jeff's very painful and unendurable funeral, no one other than Montgomery and Justin have seen nor heard from Camilla. Not even Jessica, the only girl Camilla had considered as a close friend.

Rumors had been circulating about Camilla's whereabouts and why she has been MIA. It varied from her drinking and crying herself to sleep every night, which wasn't too far off, to people thinking she had a secret relationship with Justin, since he was the only person other than her boyfriend that was allowed to see and hear from her, and lastly, Camilla's personal favorite, Camilla is pregnant, with either Justin, Montgomery, or Jeff's baby.

Camilla couldn't help but find humor in all of the rumors going around about her already, and she hasn't even stepped foot inside the school yet. 

Due to the constant pressuring from her newly forming best friend and boyfriend, she had agreed she'll go back. But it would be when she felt ready. So in the following week, Camilla decided the perfect day to go was a Wednesday, figuring she wouldn't have to deal with the full week and just ease her way back into going.

All the eyes didn't bother taking themselves off of the girl as she walked into Liberty High. She had on one of her boyfriend's baseball shirts and her waves fell perfectly down her shoulders.

She kept her head held high as she waited at the door for her boyfriend to catch up. Once he did all the eyes quickly looked away, not wanting to be caught by Montgomery.

He looks around the hall, knowing that Camilla was the topic of conversation for the month, and he hated it. Although it wasn't anything new for Liberty High's 'it' girl to be the topic every once in a while, it usually always was something good. Never did it involve thinking she was hiding out due to alcoholism or a big secret. He knew all the days and nights Camilla really had spent blaming herself for making Jeff leave alone, or how many hours she would spend crying. And now being back at school, he could sense all the judgmental looks she was receiving even before he stepped through the door. It just made him feel like he had to protect her even more.

He wrapped an arm around her shoulders, guiding her down the hall to their friends. As they walked, he continued to look around, death glaring at anybody that even looked their way.

"No fucking way." Bryce gasps dramatically, being the first to spot Camilla.

The other guys turn, giving equally dramatic reactions to seeing the small girl. She was quickly snatched out of Montgomery's reach and pulled this way and that way, being wrapped in a new hug each time.

"Okay, guys. I'm glad you miss me but ever heard of personal space!" She yells into the chest of Andrew, before hearing laughter around her and being let go. She gives Bryce a big hug along with Zach, both guys she had missed the most and Scott and Justin a fist bump, before looking down at her phone and seeing the time.

"Shit guys, I gotta go to my locker. Jess texted me this morning and said she put my books and shit in there for our first period."

The guys say bye to her, but before she could walk away Montgomery grabs gently onto her hand, stopping her from walking further. He pulls her closer, keeping his voice low as he talks.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay today, baby?"

Camilla hesitates, not knowing if she really will be able to handle her first day back at school without Jeff, but nods, making Montgomery's worried expression soften.

"I can handle it, Monty."

He smiles gently at her, before leaning down and placing a soft kiss on her lips, tucking her hair behind her ear in the process.