Chapter 20

Silence filled the area as everyone looked awkwardly at each other; even the flames seem to die down and fade but never put itself out. “All right now, don't everyone talk all at once.” Hope tried to ease the tension.

“What’s the point being here again?” Kate snapped, crossing her arms over her chest. “Yeah, the person who suggested it is dead!” Feng joined in. “Yeah!” Meg and Nea chimed in. “We’re never going to escape.” Dwight whimpered, biting at his fingernails.

“Everyone! Stop!” Boris ordered, making everyone go quiet. “This is what the Entity feeds off of. Turning against one another, arguing. We had the idea but we never capitalize on it, why don’t we know?” He suggested, making people nod.

It was quiet at first before Nea smiled. “Meg had given me a flashlight at one point when David and I were working on a generator,” Nea was cut off by an embarrassed huff by David, “We don’t speak of that!” He groaned, “Then suddenly Myers ripped him off the gen!” Nea had then jumped to her feet with a more confident tone, mimicking a scream that was aimed at David.

“I do not sound like that!” David laughed at her attempted, he, himself, following along with the tale. “Not just seconds after picking up the flashlight, I blind him with pinpoint accuracy. Then saving the entire team.” She finished with a smug smirk on her face, then winked at Meg, who looked away with a blush.

“Impressive.” Claudette chimed in with a sweet smile. Nea glared at her. “Oh don’t you dare forget what you did to me!” Nea huffed, “You think anything is impressive when you hide in every little bush! Should’ve made one of them your homes.” Nea went on.

“Hey now, calm down,” Hope said. “I said I was sorry afterwards,” Claudette said, sheepishly. “Really?? Sorry?? After having one generator left and me being chased by The Pig for about twenty minutes. What did you say?” Nea was now in front of her with Tapp and Laurie ready to break them up if it turned physical.

Claudette grew red with shame before muttering, “Doing gens, you?” Nea just shook her head. “Unbelievable! You used to be better than that!” Nea hissed before taking a breather and went pacing back and forth.

“I’m sorry Nea, I truly am,” Claudette told her and Nea sighed. Claudette was their respectable healer and cared a lot about her friends mental and physical state. All they knew was that Claudette wasn’t her usual self but Nea forgave her but hating someone here wasn’t the best idea.

“Do you guys know French?” Dwight asked, trying to move the lighten the mood. “Bonjour, je m'appelle Boris! Comment vas-tu mon ami?” Boris said with a dashing smile. “Woah.. you know more than I do. You speak it really well.” Dwight smiled. “¡Gracias!” Boris laughed, making Hope chuckle. “Seriously?” Hope asked, raising her eyebrow at Boris, who just shrugged.

Then things started to become a lot more mellowed out and a lot of people started sharing their experiences and their ways to survive. Claudette taught Nea and Meg how to heal themselves, while Bill taught David and Laurie how to pick themselves up off the ground.

Hope smiled brightly as she watched and listened to the laughed and to see such smiles back on everyone's faces. Hope looked over to see Boris blinking, looking down at something. It looked like a dog tag with a sentence etched onto it.

‘Connected heart to heart. Distance and time can never break us apart. -Boris’ was what was etched into it. “You guys knew each other? When did she have that?” Hope asked, making Boris jump and attempted to hide it.

Boris sighed and nodded. “We did talk a lot online. Then one day she had a crazy idea of getting a necklace because she wanted something that symbolizes me. She was weird.” Boris chuckled, rubbing his finger over it.