Part 9

Unedited.

Third Person POV

"I'll be there in twenty minutes." Adam was whispering in the phone while fixing his cuff-links in front of the full length mirror next to our dressing table, his phone is pressed to his ear with the help of his shoulder.

"Yes, send Pete to pick them up." He said before hanging up, and putting the phone on the night stand.

He looked up when a pair of soft pale hands covered his, and started helping him with his cuff-links. Emma's tired features appeared in front of him.

He looked at her for a moment without any emotion displaying on his features until she finished and fixed his tie too.

"Why are you out of bed when you should be resting." Adam stated more than asked.

"I'm tired not paralysed, Adam." She expressed tiredly with a broad smile while leaning slightly into him for support.

"Exhausted is the right word for your condition." He said gruffly, his hands snaked behind her waist to support her. "You know what happens after these episodes hits you, you should pay more attention to yourself. Jeff-"

"I'm okay, Adam." She assured in a strained voice. "It was not Jeff's fault that my dad was in my apartment, neither of us knew he would be there. I- I just-" Emma trailed off not knowing what word to use to avoid triggering his anger.

"You just wanted a little bit of freedom, right? One would think I'm locking you up in a cave." He emphasised the words she once used with anger and a hint of sarcasm. "I don't want to hear that damned word out of your mouth again, Emma. One more time and you won't like the outcome." He warned in a dangerously low voice. "And by the way I increased your security details." He informed while looking down at her as if daring her to defy him.

"You can't do that, Adam! Stop treating like a child who's yet to learn how to walk, I'm perfectly able to look after myself." She tried to shout but hissed when pain shot through her head, and she ended up whispering angrily at him.

"No, Emma, you're not! Have you forgotten what the doctors said? One more major episode would land you in a come, and what you experienced last night was the closest you've ever experienced to one. I almost lost you the last time, and by no means I'm going to allow that to happen again. You are to be as far away from anything that could trigger your episodes as possible, and so God help me if you defy me again I'll make sure you lose every last ounce of freedom you have now." He was mad, furious even.

"Stop it, Adam! At this rate, I'm afraid I'll die of suffocation rather than anything else."

Adam sighed, tired himself. He didn't know how to get through her, how to make her understand that he'd burn the whole country if anything happens to her. He didn't want for the monster he spent years to burry deep within to resurface. "What's so wrong and stuffy about having people around you all the time? Why are you always this rebellious, Emma?" He finally asked.

"I barely got out of that suffocating routine they forced me into, it's the one place I don't ever want to go back to again. Please, Adam." She pleaded, placing her hand on his jaw where a light stubble laid.

Adam's eyes were still hard and distance, his jaw tightly clenched almost as if he was in a whole other realm. An unpleasant one.

He suddenly picked her up bridal style, and gently laid her on bed before covering her up and kissing her forehead lingeringly. "Anything else but that, Emma. I'm willing to give you anything and everything, but that request." He answered after awhile.