17. Change is the Only Constant

Sandy

"You don't belong to a Royal family" The old man with the long beard said.

"Are you sure, Aldridge?" Alex asked, extremely confident.

Even the old man hesitated to say anything. He looked at the King and  simply nodded. I didn't know anything. I was scared for Alex. He said we were here to see Noah's coronation!! Why is he doing this??

Some words were exchanged and the council members summoned two men who carried a huge goblet on to the stage. It was not the usual. If you see it from far, you'd assume it to be a hologram. It was beyond my understanding how the two men were able to physically hold it. I dont know who did what but a portion of the stage opened to reveal a table that slowly moved up and froze. They placed the goblet on it.

"Alex, I am assuming you know what this is" Dexter Karson asked very calmly.

Alex smiled, "Of course. I did my homework"

One of the men fetched a knife from his pocket and moved aggressively towards Alex. That was enough for me to throw myself between the both of them.

"No!!" I screamed, "You wont touch him while I am here!!"

I held Alex's hand and shielded his body with mine. I glared at everyone who were in my direct vision, fresh set of tears forming in eyes.

"Kassandra" Alex tried to tame me.

"What?? They wont touch you!! They wont kill you!!"

"They are not planning to. They just want me to prove if I am Royal or not"

Oh. It did help a little. Alex kissed the back of my hand and wiped the tears off of my face.

"I am scared" I confessed. My heart was thudding against my chest and I felt like my sensory perception was on high alert because...this was threat and I need to be ready.

"Dont be." He told me softly and turned around.

He addressed Skylar directly, "Why don't you take your friend with you?"

She didnt wait to hear that again. As if Alex was a bomb, she quickly came and dragged me away from him. I resisted but Alex blinked reassuringly at me.

The man approached him and took his hand in his. I was breathing heavily and Skylar rubbed my back. I wanted to punch her in the face. In fact, I wanted to punch everyone in the face!

The knife dig into Alex's hand but my man didnt flinch - not the slightest. Blood pooled up in his palm and he confidently walked towards the goblet. He dropped his blood into it and...

The blood glistened and erupted into yellow and golden flames and slowly they subsided.

"He is Royal" The old man announced.

"I mean...how??" Noah spoke for the first time, "What's your family name? Last name?"

Alex smirked, "The goblet only accepts the Royal blood. The fact that mine burned under its glory is enough to prove that I am a royal. Well, my family and its origins are not necessary for me to challenge you. Am I wrong?"

No one spoke. So, he is right. I felt Skylar's hand on mine. But I did not look at her. I was too worried to function. Alex promised that we won't be getting into any mess that we can't handle. I know nothing about his past but I feel strongly inclined towards having a future with him. The King is a good man - that is what he told me. I hope he won't kill the one person I have my hopes on. I don't want to face the world alone again. 

"We need to clear the arena," Aldridge said and everyone began moving. Except for me and Skylar, of course!

"Before that!" Noah's brother, Delan, stopped everyone.