Summer Imagery

Summer Imagery

Are you writing about a summer's day and need to set the mood? See if the following lines inspire you...

The asphalt streets streamed with what was left of the morning dew.

I took off my _________ as a concession to the heat.

The day had gone from hot to blistering. The air was thick with humidity, the sky hazy. I could feel the sun damaging my exposed skin.

I opened the car door and stepped into the oppressive heat.

During the summer months the main house steeped in sweat and open aggression.

The air was still and sultry, the horizon dusky.

The windows were all open and cool morning air was blowing gently though the house.

The temperature had to be 100 in the shade and nearly 100% humidity everywhere.

I felt the weight of the heat settling around me.

Outside the blacktop was steaming, and the sun was beginning to throb in a clear blue sky.

The road gave off shimmering waves of heat.

Shedding my eyes, I looked into the sky - half expecting to see the hole in the ozone gaping over me like a giant sphincter crapping harmful radiation.

A bead of sweat streamed down my brow and rolled into my eye, burning it. I rubbed at it anxiously as I scanned the darkness.

The dry air seemed to pull the moisture right out of our parched airways.

The air inside was hot and stagnant.

Samber slumped in her seat, resigned to enduring the heat.

--------------------------------------------------------

Cicadas are loud insects. That appear in late April or May and "sing" or "drone" loudly for a 4-6 weeks. Here are some inspirational lines about them...

Cicadas droned foreboding another day of scorching heat.

In another hour it would turn hot and steamy. Already the cicadas were singing.

During the summer months the air sat still and gauzy, laden with dust and saturated with humidity. It shimmered over hot black top roads and melted road tar. Cicadas sang insistently, the trash heap and poop pit reeked and a dusty haze hung in perpetuity over the fields.